John, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE technician,Master GM technician,40 years experience
6408229

Where is the transmission fluid dipstick located in a 2002

Where is the transmission fluid dipstick located in a 2002 Saturn L300. I was told that you must remove a wheel to access it. I find this impossible to believe.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

This is a pain to check ,bad idea but I did not build it.Here it is straight from GM

Transmission Fluid Level and Condition Check (Level Check)

1. Start the engine and operate the vehicle until the transaxle fluid temperature reaches at least 40°C (104°F).
  2. Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through all the gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range. Return the shift lever to the PARK range.
    Object Number: 893363  Size: SH

Important: For 4-cylinder vehicles only, perform steps 3-5.

Important: Note the original position of the AIR components, if equipped.

3. Remove the clamp from the AIR hose behind the cooling fan.
  4. Separate the AIR tube from the hose and push the tube back towards the transaxle.
    Object Number: 893366  Size: SH

5. Remove the hose clip holding the 2 power steering lines together.
    Object Number: 893207  Size: SH

Caution: Ensure that the vehicle is properly supported and squarely positioned. To help avoid personal injury when a vehicle is on a hoist, provide additional support for the vehicle on the opposite end from which the components are being removed.

6. Raise the vehicle. The vehicle must be level, with the engine running.

Caution: The transmission fluid is hot. Caution must be taken to prevent personal injury when the transmission fluid drains from the transmission.

7. Remove the transaxle level plug with the engine running.
  8. Check the fluid level. The fluid level should be even with the bottom of the threaded plug hole.
  9. Check the condition of the transaxle fluid.

Notice: Saturn ATF P/N 21005966 is not compatible with this transaxle. If Saturn ATF is used, transaxle damage will result. This transaxle uses DEXRON® III ATF P/N 21019223.

10. If the fluid level is low, add DEXRON® III automatic transaxle fluid in increments of 0-47 liters (0.5 quarts) until the fluid drains from the plug hole. If more than 1.5 liters (1.6 quarts) of fluid needs to be added to the transaxle, the transaxle may have a leak.

Important: Before installing the transaxle level plug, apply LOCTITE Threadlocker 242®.

11. Allow the fluid to finish draining from the plug hole. Install the plug and wipe any excess fluid from the transaxle with a rag or shop towel.

Tighten
    Tighten the transaxle fluid level plug to 12 N·m (9 lb ft).

Important: For 4-cylinder vehicles only, perform steps 11-14.

12. Install the hose clip to the 2 power steering lines.
  13. Pull the AIR tube back to the original position.
    Object Number: 893363  Size: SH

Important: The clamp must be installed with the locking portion facing down.

14. Insert the tube into the hose and install the clamp.

Important: There is a stand-off clip between the A.I.R. tube and the wiring harness at the front of the transaxle. This must be in place to eliminate the possibility of chafing between the tube and the harness.

15. Ensure the stand-off clip between the AIR tube and the wiring harness is installed correctly.
John, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Master ASE technician,Master GM technician,40 years experience