john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech 15 + years foreign domestic & european
6149662

How to change a bcm on a 2003 ion?

Customer Question

how to change a bcm on a 2003 ion?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.
HI and thanks for your question! Here is the information you asked for. The Bcm needs to be programed to the car. You will need a GM Tec 2 to program the Bcm. The GM dealer has the Tec 2 to program the Bcm. If you put it in the car will not start until the new Bcm is programed. You can buy the Bcm and then have the dealer install it and program it. Thanks Ken
Body Control Module Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the front floor console.
    Object Number: 877821  Size: SH

3. Remove the wiring harness rosebud from the right center support bracket.

4. Object Number: 877820  Size: SH

5. Pull back the carpet at the bottom of the right center support bracket and remove the lower nuts.
  6. Remove the center support bracket nuts and remove the bracket.

7. Object Number: 877745  Size: SH

8. Disconnect the small body harness connector (1) from the body control module (BCM).
  9. Disconnect the large body harness connector (2) from the BCM.

10. Object Number: 877747  Size: SH

11. Disconnect the small instrument panel (I/P) wiring harness connector (1) from the BCM.
  12. Disconnect the large I/P wiring harness connector (2) from the BCM.
  13. If equipped with Onstar, disconnect the OnStar connector.

14. Object Number: 877750  Size: SH

15. Remove the BCM nuts and remove the BCM from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 877750  Size: SH

1. Install the BCM to the vehicle and install the retaining nuts.
  2. Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 10 N·m (88 lb in).

Object Number: 877747  Size: SH

3. Connect large I/P wiring harness connector (2) to the BCM.
  4. Connect small I/P wiring harness connector (1) to the BCM.

5. Object Number: 877745  Size: SH

6. Connect the large body wiring harness connector (2) to the BCM.
  7. Connect the small body wiring harness connector (1) to the BCM.
  8. If equipped with Onstar, connect the OnStar connector.

9. Object Number: 877820  Size: SH

10. Pull back the carpet and position the center support bracket into position.
  11. Install the center support bracket nuts.
  12. Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 10 N·m (88 lb in).

Object Number: 877821  Size: SH

13. Install the wiring harness rosebud to the center support bracket.
  14. Install the front floor console.
  15. Connect the negative battery cable.
  16. Program a new or a remanufactured BCM.
Ken, Saturn Mechanic
Experience: GM & SATURN FACTORY TRAINED
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.
Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration
  1. The body control module (BCM) must be programmed with the proper RPO configurations. The BCM stores the information regarding the vehicle options and if the BCM is not properly configured with the correct RPO codes, the BCM will not control all of the features properly. Ensure that the following conditions exist in order to prepare for BCM programming:
  2. The battery is fully charged.
    The ignition switch is in the ON position.
    The data link connector (DLC) is accessible.
    All disconnected modules and devices are reconnected before programming.
  3. To setup a new BCM, use the Tech 2 in conjunction with the Saturn Service Stall System .
  4. If the BCM fails to accept the program, perform the following steps:
  5. Inspect all BCM connections.
    Verify that the scan tool has the latest software version.

Passlock Learn Procedures

Important: If any module or device listed is replaced, programming of the module must be done prior to performing the Passlock Learn procedure.

Perform the Learn Procedure if any of the following components have been replaced:

The body control module (BCM)
The ignition switch
The engine control module (ECM)

.

Important: After programming, perform the following to avoid future misdiagnosis:

1. Turn the ignition OFF for 10 seconds.
  2. Connect the scan tool to the data link connector.
  3. Turn the ignition ON with the engine OFF.
  4. Use the scan tool in order to retrieve history DTCs from all modules.
  5. Clear all history DTCs.
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.
Thank You!
Front Floor Console Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Apply the park brake.
  2. If equipped with an automatic or VTi transmission, shift the transmission into neutral.

3. Object Number: 873755  Size: SH

4. If equipped with an automatic or VTi transmission, remove the console shift lever bezel by carefully lifting up around the outside edge.

5. Object Number: 873756  Size: SH

6. If equipped with a manual transmission, unsnap the shift boot from the front console cupholder.

7. Object Number: 877759  Size: SH

8. Lift the front console cupholder to disengage the retaining fasteners.
  9. Disconnect the cigar lighter electrical connector.

10. Object Number: 873757  Size: SH

11. Remove the front console cupholder. If equipped with a manual transmission, slide the shift boot through the front console cupholder.

12. Object Number: 877755  Size: SH

13. Remove the left console side extension retainer. Turn the retainer counterclockwise to remove.
  14. Remove the right console side extension retainer. Turn the retainer counterclockwise to remove.

15. Object Number: 873753  Size: SH

16. Remove the left console side extension by pulling the console side extension rearward to disengage from the console.
  17. Remove the right console side extension by pulling the console side extension rearward to disengage from the console.

18. Object Number: 873754  Size: SH

19. Remove the console center extension screws.
  20. Pull out on the console center extension to disengage the retaining fasteners and remove the extension.

21. Object Number: 875761  Size: SH

22. Unsnap the park brake boot from the console.

23. Object Number: 875764  Size: SH

24. If equipped with an armrest assembly, remove the console compartment screws.
  25. Lift up on the rear of the console compartment to release the retaining fasteners.
  26. Lift the console compartment and push the park brake boot through the opening in the compartment.
  27. Slide the console compartment over the park brake lever.

28. Object Number: 875766  Size: SH

29. Disconnect the rear power outlet electrical connector.

30. Object Number: 875770  Size: SH

31. Remove the front and rear console screws.
  32. Lift the console over the park brake lever and the shift lever.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 875770  Size: SH

1. Lower the console over the park brake lever and the shift lever.
  2. Push the console down on the carpet and install the front and rear screws.
  3. Tighten
    Tighten the console screws to 2.5 N·m (22 lb in).

Object Number: 875766  Size: SH

4. Connect the rear power outlet electrical connector.

5. Object Number: 875764  Size: SH

6. Slide the console compartment over the park brake lever.
  7. Pull the park brake boot through the opening in the console compartment.
  8. Align the retaining fasteners with the console and push to secure.
  9. If equipped with an armrest assembly, install the console compartment screws.
  10. Tighten
    Tighten the console compartment screws to 2.5 N·m (22 lb in).

Object Number: 875761  Size: SH

11. Snap the park brake boot to the console.

12. Object Number: 873754  Size: SH

13. Align the console center extension retaining fasteners to the I/P and push to secure the extension.
  14. Install the console center extension screws.
  15. Tighten
    Tighten the console center extension screws to 2.5 N·m (22 lb in).

Object Number: 877759  Size: SH

16. If equipped with a manual transmission, slide the shift boot through the front console cupholder.
  17. Connect the cigar lighter electrical connector.

18. Object Number: 873757  Size: SH

19. Align the retaining fasteners on the front console cupholder with the console.
  20. Push the front console cupholder to secure.

21. Object Number: 873756  Size: SH

22. If equipped with a manual transmission, snap the shift boot to the front console cupholder.

23. Object Number: 873755  Size: SH

24. If equipped with an automatic or VTi transmission, align the fingers on the shift lever bezel with the slots on the shift lever base. Push the console shift lever bezel to secure.
  25. If equipped with an automatic or VTi transmission, shift the transmission into Park.

26. Object Number: 873753  Size: SH

27. Install the console side extensions.
  28. Align the clips on the console side extensions with the slots in the console.
  29. Slide the console side extensions forward to engage the clips with the console.

30. Object Number: 877755  Size: SH

31. Install the console side extension retainers and turn clockwise to secure.
Ken, Saturn Mechanic
Experience: GM & SATURN FACTORY TRAINED
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

my wipers go on when we start car then go off after a few seconds i replaced bcm still happens and car won't start now. I didn't have bcm programmed yet. The wiper problem

was my original issue.

Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 5 years ago.

The bcm will need programming to make the car run again

it may have a wiper switch issue or a ecm issue here is the system info

WIPER/WASHER SYSTEM

WIPER/WASHER SYSTEM COMPONENTS
The windshield wiper/washer system consists of the following components:

• Body Control Module (BCM)
  • Engine Control Module (ECM)
  • Windshield washer pump
  • Windshield washer solvent container
  • Windshield wiper arm and blade assemblies
  • Windshield wiper motor
  • Windshield wiper transmission
  • Windshield wiper/washer switch
  • WIPER 25 A fuse
  • WIPER SW 10 A fuse
  • Wiper 1 relay
  • Wiper 2 relay

WINDSHIELD WIPER/WASHER SYSTEM POWER AND GROUND
With the ignition in the ON position, accessory voltage is supplied through the WIPER SW 10 A fuse in the fuse block that is part of the BCM to the wiper/washer switch.
G101 provides ground for the following:

• Windshield washer pump
  • Windshield wiper motor
  • Wiper 1 relay
  • Wiper 2 relay

WINDSHIELD WIPER/WASHER SYSTEM DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION
The windshield wiper/washer switch supplies voltage on the signal circuit or the control circuit of the windshield washer pump to the BCM for windshield wiper/washer operation. When WASH, MIST, DELAY, LOW, or HIGH is detected, the BCM energizes the Wiper 1 relay by suppling voltage to the relay coil. This allows battery voltage from the WIPER fuse to flow through the relay switched input then through the contacts and out the relay switched output to the WIPER 2 relay switch contacts. Since the WIPER 2 relay switch contacts are normally closed to the low speed circuit of the windshield wiper motor, the motor will operate at low speed.

WASH OPERATION
In the WASH position windshield wiper/washer switch supplies voltage on the control circuit of the windshield washer pump to the BCM and the windshield washer pump. The BCM monitors this voltage input to detect when a WASH cycle is requested so it can enable the wipers. The BCM energizes the Wiper 1 relay which will operate the windshield wiper motor at low speed.

The windshield washer pump sprays solvent onto the windshield. The windshield wipers operate at low speed for 3-5 wipes and returns to the park position.

MIST OPERATION
In the MIST position, voltage is supplied through a internal 562 ohm resistor to the signal circuit of the windshield wiper/washer switch for the BCM. The BCM will momentarily energizes the Wiper 1 relay which will operate the windshield wiper motor at low speed.

The windshield wipers make one sweep at low speed and returns to the park position. If the windshield wiper/washer switch is held in MIST mode, the windshield wipers will continue to operate until the switch is released.

INTERMITTENT OPERATION
In the desired INT position, the BCM will cycle the Wiper 1 relay ON and OFF to acquire the desired intermittent speed of the windshield wiper motor. The intermittent speed of the windshield wipers can also be effected by the vehicle speed. Refer to Vehicle Speed Sensitive Wipers for more information.

In the INT position 1, voltage is supplied through the following internal resistors to the signal circuit of the windshield wiper/washer switch for the BCM.

• 4640 ohm
  • 1780 ohm
  • 909 ohm
  • 562 ohm

In the INT position 2, voltage is supplied through the following internal resistors to the signal circuit of the windshield wiper/washer switch for the BCM.

• 1780 ohm
  • 909 ohm
  • 562 ohm

In the INT position 3, voltage is supplied through the following internal resistors to the signal circuit of the windshield wiper/washer switch for the BCM.

• 909 ohm
  • 562 ohm

LOW OPERATION
In the Low position, voltage is supplied through a internal 562 ohm resistor to the signal circuit of the windshield wiper/washer switch for the BCM. The BCM will energizes the Wiper 1 relay which will operate the windshield wiper motor at low speed.

HIGH OPERATION
In the High position, the windshield wiper/washer switch supplies voltage to both the Wiper 1 and Wiper 2 relay coils. This energizes both relays and allows battery voltage from the Wiper 1 relay switched output to the switched input of the Wiper 2 relay through its contacts and out the switched output of the relay to the high speed circuit of the windshield wiper motor. The windshield wiper motor will operate at high speed.

VEHICLE SPEED SENSITIVE WIPERS
When the wipers are placed in any of the INT positions, the BCM will decrease the wiper delay as vehicle speed increases in order to keep windshield visibility clear. The BCM receives vehicle speed via class 2 from the ECM.

PARK POSITION OPERATION
The BCM supplies voltage to signal circuit of the windshield wiper motor park switch. The BCM monitors this signal to determine if the windshield wiper motor is still operating or it has parked. The signal will be pulled to ground by the windshield wiper motor park switch while the windshield wiper motor is operating. When the windshield wiper motor has parked, the signal is at normal voltage because of the windshield wiper switch being open.

john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: ase tech 15 + years foreign domestic & european