Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

Need help finding starter relay on 99` saturn sc1

need help finding starter relay on 99` saturn sc1
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Daryl replied 7 years ago.
The starter relay is behind the left side of the dash, it is taped to the wiring harness. This can be a little difficult to find but it is there.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

jumper cables were put on backwards when trying to jump start the car

Expert:  Daryl replied 7 years ago.
If the engine will crank over and not start the relay is not the problem. I would check all the fuses to see if one blew when the jumper were on backwards.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

it wont crank over i've tested the starter buy connecting the sil. and + cable and tested the volts in the clutch sw and the hanes is showing me a starter relay but i cant locate it6

Expert:  Daryl replied 7 years ago.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

its black with and has elec. tape around it and the harness would that be what would have fried and why i still got dash lights workin but no radio or chimes and my door locks aren`t working right

Expert:  Daryl replied 7 years ago.
It sounds more like a fuse blown to me. Anything could have fried when the cables were connected backwards.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i just cant figure out where, i have searched all the fuses; there is a column of fuses that worked when i changed the radio fuse, cause it was blown, but after tryin to start it again the same column of fuses were out. i am hearing a clicking out of the relay under the passanger side fuse box. its labeled window, if i replace the starter relay should that get if running?
Expert:  Daryl replied 7 years ago.
Its impossible to say if the relay will fix the problem, really the only way to know is to try it, if it does not work the ignition switch may be the problem or a wire got burned.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

so the first step is to replace the starter relay. it being wraped in tape will it come out easy as the relays under the hood and what else should i look

Expert:  Daryl replied 7 years ago.
If the relay does not help the problem start looking for burnt wires and other bad fuses, other than that you will need to check to see if there is power to fuses and ignition switch.