Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

How to I perform a relearn of the passlock system on my 2005

How to I perform a relearn of the passlock system on my 2005 Ion? Also, can I disable the passlock system using the "white wire" trick? Obviously, I'm having problems with the car starting in cold weather; like many other Ion owners.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Do the following procedure and when attempting to start the vehicle during the first couple steps, just bump the key into the start position. If problem still happens try a new key if still happening replace the ignition switch/passlock sensor. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If the passlock sensor needs to be replaced, where do I find it in the car?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
It is part of the electrical ignition switch, the part the lock cylinder connects to. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll give these a shot, thanks!!
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
I'm happy I was able to help, let me know if you need anything. Thanks again
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok...so a year later, my problem with this issue as gotten worse. The wait time for start up has increased to an hour or more. I have elected to replace the ingnition switch, and have already ordered the part. Do you have any detailed advice on how I go about actually replacing this part, I still have the directions for the relearn process, but need some guidance on how to replace the part itself.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
When it doesnt start does the starter even engage? Do the dash lights and stuff light up right away like they should?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, the starter does not engage, however the dash lights and everything else comes on just as it should. I've tried the relearn process a few times over the last few months, and it seems to correct the problem for about a week before it starts acting up again.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Does your theft indicator come on/flash when this happens?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, in some cases it continues to flash while waiting the 10 mintues before the next start attempt, in most cases it turns off after turning the key to the off position.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Did you ever replace lock cylinder or electric ignition switch?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just ordered a new ignition switch, the part should be in by tomorrow, and I plan on replacing it this weekend. However, I'm not too sure on how to replace it without making the problem worse. I know that I will need to remove the steering column covers, and remove the cylinder to get to it, then reset the passlock system after putting back together......is there anything that I should be cautious of while doing this? I don't want to disable the car, and have to pay several hundred to a dealer for what seems to be a relatively simple fix. Of course, there is the problem of finding a dealer that will still work on Saturns in my area; not having too much luck with my local GM dealers who will still support the vehicle.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Worst case you will be in the same position....I would also replace the lock cylinder when you do switch because these are common to fail also......after you are done do 30 minute relearn procedure as shown above. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks...I sure will.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Ok, I'll talk to you then. thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for not follow up with you. The replacement of the iginition switch workedout great, it took me a few tries of the reprogramming step to get it going but now it works out fine! Thanks for all of your help.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
I'm happy to hear that....It is the fix 90% of the time.