Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Saturn Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

the timing chain broke on a 2000 saturn 2.2 liter engine. my

the timing chain broke on a 2000 saturn 2.2 liter engine. my brother purchased the car in this condition so i do not know the specifics of when the problem happened. my questions is... while inspecting the intake valves cam shaft, there is alot of "play" in one of the "neutral" positions as i rotate the shaft (engine is not at tds) i am wondering if this is normal. i do not see any play in the exhaust valve cam shaft. thanks
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.
The Saturn 2.2 liter engine is an interference engine. This means that if (when) the timing chain breaks the valves that are in motion will contact the pistons that are in motion and bend the valves. The slack you feel in the intake camshaft is due to the valves being bent. They no longer close all the way so there is slack in the valvetrain. The cylinder head will need to come off so the bent valves can be replaced.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
this is my first time using this so i am reluctant to accept BEFORE i get an answer......