saturnpro
saturnpro, Saturn Technician
Experience:  I worked at a high volume saturn dealer as a lead technician from 1999-2003

I have a 2007 Saturn Vue with a lock problem. The lock mechanism

I have a 2007 Saturn Vue with a lock problem. The lock mechanism located on the door suddenly stopped working today, and once as I drove it sounded like the locks were locking and unlocking for a few seconds. Even after the car was turned off, and I was unloading something from the back seat, I heard the sound. I can lock and unlock the doors with the keychain mechanism. What could be the problem? Thank you!
Category: Saturn
Expert:  saturnpro replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer.

Are you saying that the POWER locks are acting up or that you cannot manually use the lock with a key in the door or both?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The power locks are acting up. I can manually lock and unlock the doors, and I can use the keyless entry.
Expert:  saturnpro replied 4 years ago.
Ok so to be clear the locks work perfectly normal in all functions except if you push the power lock button inside the truck right?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The powerlock button no longer functions. Once today when the doors should have locked automatically when I started driving, they did not. Another time they did. I can sometimes hear the lock sound while driving, and I also heard it after the engine had been off for a minute or two and I was unloading the car. I did not try the key, but I can use the keyless entry.
Expert:  saturnpro replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I would like you to try the key a few times, roll the window down and watch the lock inside the truck to see if it operates properly in both directions and tell me what you find. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, I tried the key and it worked properly in both directions.
Expert:  saturnpro replied 4 years ago.

Ok, 2 more questions I need to ask then here:

1- Has this vehicle been broken into lately or had to be "jimmied" into because of a lockout?

2- Sounds like the ONLY time that the driver door does not lock properly is when you push the power lock button inside, do all the other doors function when you command the lock/unlock with this button?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The car has not been broken into.

None of the doors lock when I use the button. When I heard the lock sound after the car was shut off, the sound appeared to be coming from a back door as that was where I was unloading things from.
Expert:  saturnpro replied 4 years ago.
Ok, if this problem only is at one door and all 3 others are fully functional then this narrows it down greatly, a few electrical inspections will need to be performed by a qualified Saturn experienced technician but it sounds like the power dor lock actuator is failing on the vehicle, somewhat common on these.
saturnpro, Saturn Technician
Experience: I worked at a high volume saturn dealer as a lead technician from 1999-2003