FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.

If the water pump goes out will it prevent the car from starting?

Customer Question

Category: Saturn
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 years ago.
HelloCustomer what kind of Saturn is this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is a 2002 L Series 2.2 L
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 years ago.
Okay. Yes it can. On this engine if the water pump fails it can cause the timing chain to become loose or come off which will cause the valve timing to be off causing the engine to die.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have checked and I have spark and compression. If the timing chain came off will this cause damage to the valves and would it be worth fixing? The car has 168,000 miles on it but ran like a champ until the water pump blew out
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We can see the shaft on the pump spinning thru the gap on the water pump so does that indcate the chain is still sttached but possible become loose?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 years ago.
What was the compression readings that you were getting?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am not sure what they were but we can see the shaft inside the water pump rotating when we turn the ignition. Is the water pump driven by the timing chain?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the water pump is driven by the timing chain. The chain can be loose or it may have jumped time when the water pump failed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What are the chances that it messed up the valves? With 168K miles I am afraid of putting too much into this car so is this a fairly easy fix if the valves are ok?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 years ago.
Typically yhis does not ruin the valves in this vehicle. You would need to pull off the timing chain covers to see if the vehicle is out of time? Did the water pump bearing completely fail or did it just start leaking?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What happened was.... While I was driving at approx 30 mph I heard a sound that sounded like it blew out and the car died and has not started since. When I popped the hood there was coolant sprayed all along the firewall on the side where the water pump is located. So I am assuming it has FAILED! LOL
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 years ago.
Okay. Yes this is what happened. You need to now check the timing chain to see if it jumped. If you are lucky it may have stayed where it was and is just loose due to the bad pump.
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience: ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK great thank you so much for your help! You have supplied me with more useful answers than anyone has!!
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 years ago.
Not a problem. Let me know if you need any other help.