Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

how do i change rear brakes on a 2002 saturn

Customer Question

Category: Saturn
Expert:  BAMAMAN39 replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer.

What kind of saturn do you have?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
L100
Expert:  BAMAMAN39 replied 4 years ago.
I have to opt out because this question is in the wrong place.Hold on and another tech will be with you shortly
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i am trying to change brakes on a 2002 saturn L100. rear drum
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Here are directions:

1. Remove the wheels and brake drums.
  2. Remove the lower return and adjuster springs using a universal brake spring remover. Do not over extend the springs or they will damaged and will need to be replaced.
  3. Compress the leading brake shoe hold-down cup and spring while removing the pin from the rear of the backing plate. Release spring compression, then remove the hold-down cup and spring.
  4. Pull the leading shoe towards the front of the vehicle and remove the adjuster assembly and lever. It may be necessary to turn the adjuster starwheel to shorten the adjuster's length.
  5. Remove the leading shoe by twisting the shoe out of engagement with the upper return spring.
  6. Remove the upper return spring from the park brake shoe, then remove the park brake shoe hold-down cup, spring and pin assembly.
  7. Push the park brake shoe lever into the cable spring while disengaging the cable from the end lever and remove the parking brake shoe, lever and cable spring from the vehicle.
  8. Remove the retainer and wave washer, then remove the park brake lever from the shoe.
  9. Disassemble the brake adjuster socket, screw and nut, then clean the components in denatured alcohol. Inspect the assembly, making sure the screw threads smoothly into the adjusting nut over the full threaded length.
  10. Inspect the wheel cylinder for signs of leakage and for cut or damaged boots. Do not attempt to repair a damaged cylinder, the assembly must be replaced.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Rear brake shoe and adjuster installation

To install:

1. Lubricate the adjuster assembly, the 6 backing plate raised shoe contact pads, the brake lever pin and surfaces which contact brake shoe webs with brake lubricant.
  2. Install the park brake lever onto the pin on the brake shoe and secure with the wave washer and retainer clip. Crimp the ends of the retainer to secure the brake lever.
  3. Install the cable spring into the cage on the park brake lever, then install the cable through the spring and onto the lever.
  4. Install the park brake shoe using the hold-down cup assembly; use a universal spring cup remover/installer tool. Make sure the shoe is correctly engaged into the wheel cylinder (top) and the anchor (bottom).
  5. Install the long straight end of the upper return spring into the back hole in the park brake shoe, position the other brake shoe and install the other end of the spring into the back of the leading shoe.
  6. Pull the lead shoe toward the front of the vehicle and install the adjuster between the park and leading brake shoes. Verify that the adjuster notches properly engage the brake shoe notches and that the shoe is properly aligned in the wheel cylinder and anchor.
  7. Install the adjuster lever and adjuster spring. Make sure the notch on the lever engages the pin on the park shoe and the notch on the adjusting socket. The lower leg of the lever should engage the teeth of the starwheel adjuster assembly.
  8. Secure the leading brake shoe using the hold-down cup assembly.
  9. Install the adjuster spring to the upper side of the brake shoes with the short end to the lead shoe and the long end to the adjuster lever. Then install the lower return spring into the lower holes of the shoes.
  10. Verify the correct location of all brake components, if necessary, use the other side brake assembly for comparison.
  11. Using a suitable drum clearance gauge, measure the inner diameter of the brake drum and adjust the outside diameter of the brake shoes to 0.02 inch (0.50mm) less than the inner diameter of the drum.
  12. Repeat the procedure for the opposite brake shoes and install the brake drums.
  13. If the wheel cylinders have been replaced, bleed the hydraulic brake system.
  14. Install the rear wheels.
  15. Apply and release the brake pedal 20 times to allow the adjuster to properly position the brake shoes.
  16. Check and adjust the parking brake cable, as necessary.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: Disconnect the lower return spring from the leading brake shoe ...

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: ... followed by the adjuster spring from the top of the brake assembly

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 3: Remove the leading shoe hold-down cup and spring assembly

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 4: Pull out the leading brake shoe ...

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 5: ... and remove the star wheel adjuster assembly

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 6: After twisting the shoe to disengage the upper return spring, remove the leading brake shoe

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 7: Remove the upper return spring from the parking (trailing) brake shoe

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 8: After removing the hold-down cup and spring, pull the brake shoe/parking brake lever assembly from the backing plate, then disengage the cable

It is helpful to have rear shoe brake spring tools:

Also, if you havent done these before, do 1 side at a time so that you have the other side to look at as a point of reference