GmKindl
GmKindl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15 Years Master ASE Certified, Advanced Engine Specialist, GM Pro Service Guild
19945676

where is the transmission dip stick on a 2004 saturn vue

Category: Saturn
Expert:  GmKindl replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. What engine is your VUE equipped with?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's a V6 probably a 3.6
Expert:  GmKindl replied 5 years ago.
Ok. There are two different transmission options that have different dipstick locations so here is the first of the two. This is the 5 speed transmission procedure.

Important:

Keep all foreign particles out of the transmission.
    Turn the engine OFF when checking fluid level.

1. Warm the engine to normal operating temperature - until the electric radiator fan turns on at least once.
  2. Park the vehicle on a level surface.
  3. Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through the gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each gear.
  4. Turn OFF the engine.

5. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

6. Remove the fluid level indicator (35) located at the rear of the engine compartment with the black loop, from the automatic transmission fluid (ATF) level indicator tube (37).
  7. Wipe the fluid level indicator (35) with a clean cloth.

8. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

9. Insert the fluid level indicator (35) into the fluid level indicator tube (37).

10. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

11. Remove the fluid level indicator (35) and inspect the fluid level. The fluid level should be between the upper mark (1) and the lower mark (2).
  12. If the fluid level is below the lower mark (2), inspect for fluid leaks at the transmission, the hose and line joints, and at the cooler lines. If the fluid level is above the upper mark (1), determine the cause of the overfill condition and correct as needed.

13. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Important:

Always use the specified ATF. If specified ATF is not used, shift quality is affected.
    Only add enough ATF to bring the fluid level to the upper mark on the fluid level indicator (35).

14. When adding less than 946 ml (1 qt) of ATF, insert a funnel into the fluid level indicator tube (37), and add the correct amount of ATF to bring the level to the upper mark.
  15. When adding more than 946 ml (1 qt) of ATF, open the transmission fluid fill plug (79) located on top of the transmission case section (31).
  16. Insert the fluid level indicator back into the fluid level indicator tube (37).

And this is the second. This is for the CVT transmission.

1. Install a scan tool.
  2. Start the engine.
  3. Park the vehicle on a level surface.
  4. Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever from PARK to REVERSE for 10 seconds.
  5. Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever from REVERSE to DRIVE for 10 seconds.
  6. Move the shift lever back to PARK. The engine should remain running.

7. Object Number: 866176  Size: SH

8. Remove the plug from the center of the fluid fill lower tube. The fluid fill lower tube is located on the bottom of the unit.
  9. Important:

Do not use ATF P/N 21005966 or P/N 21019223. These fluids are not compatible with this transmission.
    Use Saturn DEX-CVT® Fluid P/N 22688912.

10. If fluid drains down as a steady stream from the opening, wait for it to stop. If fluid does not drain from the opening, add more fluid until it starts to drain as a steady stream, then stop adding fluid immediately. Allow fluid to drain until the fluid stream stops.
  11. Important: The normal use color for DEX-CVT® fluid is green or light brown. Fluid may also turn dark brown from normal use, and does not always indicate contamination. Fluid that is very dark or black and has a burnt odor usually indicates contamination or over-heating.

12. Inspect the fluid color.
  13. Inspect the fluid for metal or other debris which may indicate transaxle damage.
  14. Inspect the fluid for a cloudy or milky appearance which may indicate engine coolant contamination.
  15. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

16. Replace the lower fill tube plug.
  17. Tighten
    Tighten the plug to 11 N·m (97 lb in).

18. On the scan tool, observe the Trans. Fluid Temp. and record the temperature.
  19. If the Trans. Fluid Temp. is 20°C (68°F), add 0.5 qt (0.47 liter) of fluid to the transmission. Do not remove the plug.
    If the Trans. Fluid Temp. is 40°C (104°F), add 0.75 qt (0.71 liter) of fluid to the transmission. Do not remove the plug.
    If the Trans. Fluid Temp. is 60°C (140°F), add 1 qt (0.95 liter) of fluid to the transmission. Do not remove the plug.
    If the Trans. Fluid Temp. is 80°C (176°F), add 1.25 qt (1.18 liters) of fluid to the transmission. Do not remove the plug.

GmKindl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 15 Years Master ASE Certified, Advanced Engine Specialist, GM Pro Service Guild