Super mechanic
Super mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

How do you add transmission fluid to a 2004 saturn ion

how do you add transmission fluid to a 2004 saturn ion
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Super mechanic replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

• Install a scan tool.
  • Start the engine.
  • Park the vehicle on a level surface.
  • Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever from "PARK" to "REVERSE" for 10 seconds.
  • Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever from "REVERSE" to "DRIVE" for 10 seconds.
  • Move the shift lever back to "PARK". The engine should remain running.
  •  

graphic

1. Remove the plug from the center of the fluid fill lower tube. The fluid fill lower tube is located on the bottom of the unit. IMPORTANT: Do not use ATF P/N 21005966 or P/N 21019223. These fluids are not compatible with this transmission. Use Saturn DEX-CVT Fluid P/N 22688912.
    2. If fluid drains down as a steady stream from the opening, wait for it to stop. If fluid does not drain from the opening, add more fluid until it starts to drain as a steady stream, then stop adding fluid immediately. Allow fluid to drain until the fluid stream stops. IMPORTANT: The normal use color for DEX-CVT fluid is green or light brown. Fluid may also turn dark brown from normal use, and does not always indicate contamination. Fluid that is very dark or black and has a burnt odor usually indicates contamination or over-heating.
    3. Inspect the fluid color.
    4. Inspect the fluid for metal or other debris which may indicate transaxle damage.
    5. Inspect the fluid for a cloudy or milky appearance which may indicate engine coolant contamination.
    6. Replace the lower fill tube plug. Tighten the plug to 11.0 Nm (97 lb. in).
    7. On the scan tool, observe the Trans. Fluid Temp. and record the temperature.
      • If the Trans. Fluid Temp. is 20°C (68°F), add 0.5 qt (0.47 liter) of fluid to the transmission. Do not remove the plug.
      • If the Trans. Fluid Temp. is 40°C (104°F), add 0.75 qt (0.71 liter) of fluid to the transmission. Do not remove the plug.
      • If the Trans. Fluid Temp. is 60°C (140°F), add 1 qt (0.95 liter) of fluid to the transmission. Do not remove the plug.
      • If the Trans. Fluid Temp. is 80°C (176°F), add 1.25 qt (1.18 liters) of fluid to the transmission. Do not remove the plug.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    where do you add the fluid in at
    There is a small cap at the top end of the trans, sort of toward the front. That comes out and the fluid would go in the hole.
    Experience: ASE Master tech, 30 years experience