john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech 15 + years foreign domestic & european

Hey, my 2000 saturn sl1 has had a check engine light on for

Customer Question

Hey, my 2000 saturn sl1 has had a check engine light on for the last 4 months. The code from a computer scan said i need a new camshaft sensor but the car doesnt have that sensor. Accelerating in the 35-65mph range is difficult for the car to perform without difficulty. I have new spark plugs...was told it could be a busted ignition coil. Also recently a light showing that my coolant level is low came on even though the coolant level looks fine to me. Maybe this could be my problem more so than a busted ignition coil? Anywayz, any help would be great
Category: Saturn
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 7 years ago.
what is the trouble code please?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
0341 i do believe...0431?
can you double check?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
think it was 0341... i dont have a computer scanner but im getting it checked out tomorrow while i get an oil change
graphicgraphicThe Electronic Ignition (EI) module supplies a ground to the cylinder #4 signal wire whenever it determines cylinder #4 has just fired on its compression stroke. The EI module uses capacitive pickup plates located under the 1/4 coil pack to determine the polarity sequence and voltage amplitude of the cylinder 1/4 secondary ignition. The PCM supplies 5 volts on the signal line and expects to see the cylinder #4 signal wire go low after every 14 crankshaft pulses (2 revolutions). This is used to determine the position of the camshaft, except under decel. The PCM only uses the transition from 5 to 0 volts as a valid TDC compression #4 cylinder signal. DTC P0341 sets when the PCM detects extra cam pulses (more than one cam pulse within two crankshaft revolutions).

DTC P0341 will set if the PCM detects 11 or more consecutive extra cam pulses (cylinder #4 signal line is pulled to ground too often) when MAP is greater than 30 kPa.

If the PCM detects 20 correct consecutive cam pulses, DTC P0341 will pass for the rest of the ignition cycle.

DTC P0341 diagnostic runs continuously until 20 correct cam pulses have been received when the vehicle is not in a decel.

DTC P0341 is a type B DTC.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDSUse Scan tool to monitor CMP RESYNC COUNTER while running engine. The counter should count to 14, which indicates the number of notches passed on the crankshaft in 2 revolutions, then reset to zero when a cam pulse is received.

High resistance in the #4 secondary ignition system or low resistance in the #1 secondary ignition system can set this DTC. Check for corroded or loose #1 or #4 secondary ignition components. Use Scan tool to monitor MISFIRE CURRENT CYL #1 and #4 which may point out an intermittent misfire causing the DTC.

A cam pulse that occurs too often without a cylinder misfire will not affect engine operation.