Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show
10772012

2007 Saturn Ion: it goes into limp mode..throttle position sensor

I have a 2007 Saturn Ion. After driving the car on the e-way when i restart the car it goes into limp mode. Code came back as a bad throttle position sensor. Called Saturn parts and they tell me the part does not exist. Or it may be in the throttle body. Heip

HelloCustomer unfortunately, GM as many other manufacturers have done, have made the Throttle Positioning sensor part of the throttlebody. It is not serviceable seperately, you do have to purchase the entire throttlebody. I've seen this before on other vehicles and I feel it's unfair to force you to buy a throttlebody, but this unfortunately is your only option.

The throttebody is part number 12568796 and it lists for $144.96. That part is available at GMPARTSDIRECT for $85.92. Here is the link for them.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you think that replacing that will cure the problem. I took it in and they first told me it was two bad ignition coils. I replaced them and the spark plugs. When I drove on the highway and got off it went back into limp mode shaking ext., ext., Took it back and the TPS code was found.
When a code is stored, the computer stores freeze frame data. Freeze frame data is certain data that is captured taking a snapshot of what took place the moment the code was stored. Being able to see that data will show you the throttle data that took place. If the signal from the TPS went low and out of spec it would put you in limp mode. If you have a voltmeter, I can tell you how to test the TPS. See if you can get the freeze frame data, and that would give us evidence to go by. The TPS could very well be bad, or there may be a power or ground issue with that circuit..