Super mechanic
Super mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience

I have a 2003 Saturn Vue AWD. I have a lot of noise and vibration

I have a 2003 Saturn Vue AWD. I have a lot of noise and vibration from the undercarriage. I looked at it to find that the driveshaft is loose, so loose I can move it with my hand. I noticed that in the center of the shaft there is a support that is broken. My question is does the intire shart have to be replaced or just that support part?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Super mechanic replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

Yes the center support bearing can be replaced , however there are some special tools involved to do it. There also has been a service bulletin on them for some vehicles.

Drivetrain - Vibrations Felt in Seatback or Armrest
Notes

File in Section: 04 - Driveline Axle

Bulletin No.: 04-04-17-002

Issue Date: August, 2004

Subject:
Vibration Felt in Seatback or Armrest at Vehicle Speeds Between 48 to 89 kmh
(30 to 55 mph) (Replace Propeller Shaft Center Support Bearing)

Models Affected:
2002-2004 Saturn VUE Vehicles
with All Wheel Drive (RPO GQ1) built prior to VIN Breakpoint 4S853184

Attention: Fixed Operations Manager and Technician

Condition:

Some customers may comment on a vibration that can be felt only in the seatback or armrest.

^In 2002-2003 model year vehicles, this condition may be most noticeable at vehicle speeds between 72 to 89 km/h (45 to 55 mph).

^In 2004 model year vehicles with the 2.2L four-cylinder engine (RPO L61), this condition may be most noticeable at vehicle speeds between 72 to 89 km/h (45 to 55 mph).

^In 2004 model year vehicles with the 3.5L V-6 engine (RPO L66), this condition may be noticeable at vehicle speeds between 48 to 56 km/h (30 to 35 mph).

Cause:

This condition may be caused by driveline pulsations from the all wheel drive system that is transmitted through the propeller shaft center support bearing and into the seat assembly.

Correction:

Verify the customer concern and, if necessary, replace the propeller shaft center support bearing. Refer to the service procedure in this bulletin.

Service Procedure:

1.Verify the customer comment by evaluating the vehicle at the affected speed.

2.Temporarily remove the propeller shaft (propshaft), by following the approved service procedure in the appropriate Service Manual.

^For 2002-2003 Saturn VUE vehicles, refer to "Propeller Shaft - Removal" procedure in the 2002-2003 Saturn VUE Chassis Service Manual, Vol. I (SI Document ID #(NNN) NNN-NNNN.

^For 2004 Saturn VUE vehicles, refer to "Propeller Shaft Replacement" procedure in the Driveline/Axle section of the 2004 Saturn VUE Service Manual, Vol.1 (SI Document ID #(NNN) NNN-NNNN.

3.Re-evaluate the vehicle with the propshaft removed.

^If some vibration is still present, inspect the chassis to determine the sources of the vibration and repair as needed.

-For 2002-2003 Saturn VUE vehicles, refer to "Vibration Complaint Tire-Wheel-Hub Related" procedures in the 2002-2003 Saturn VUE Chassis Service Manual (SI Document ID # XXXXX and(NNN) NNN-NNNN.

-For 2004 Saturn VUE vehicles, refer to "Vibration Analysis - Tire and Wheel" and "Vibration Analysis - Hub and/or Axle Input" procedures in the General Information section of the 2004 Saturn VUE Service Manual, Vol.1 (SI Document ID # XXXXX and(NNN) NNN-NNNN.

^If the vibration is completely eliminated when the propshaft has been removed from the vehicle, replace the center support bearing by following the approved service procedure in the appropriate Service Manual.

-For 2002-2003 Saturn VUE vehicles, refer to "Center Bearing Removal and Installation" procedures in the 2002-2003 Saturn VUE Chassis Service Manual, Vol. I (SI Document ID #(NNN) NNN-NNNNand(NNN) NNN-NNNN.

-For 2004 Saturn VUE vehicles, refer to "Center Bearing Removal and Installation" procedures in the Driveline/Axle section of the 2004 Saturn VUE Service Manual, Vol.1(SI Document ID #(NNN) NNN-NNNNand(NNN) NNN-NNNN.

4.Reinstall the propshaft by following the approved service procedure in the appropriate Service Manual.

^For 2002-2003 Saturn VUE vehicles, refer to "Propeller Shaft - Installation" procedure in the 2002-2003 Saturn VUE Chassis Service Manual, Vol. 1 (SI Document ID #(NNN) NNN-NNNN.

5.Verify that the vibration has been eliminated.

graphic

Center Bearing
Notes

CENTER BEARING

^TOOLS REQUIRED
  • J22912-A Bearing Puller
  • J44870 Yoke Installer
  • J45270 Universal Joint Remover/Installer

REMOVAL

NOTICE: Never clamp propeller shaft tubing in a vise. Clamping propeller shaft tubing in a vise could dent or deform the tube, causing an imbalance or unsafe condition. Always clamp on one end of the yokes and support the shaft horizontally.

IMPORTANT: Prior to disassembly, mark the positions of the driveshaft components relative to the driveshaft tube. All components must be reassembled in the same relationship to maintain proper balance.

graphic

1. Remove the snap rings.
    • Pinch the ends of the snap ring together with a pair of pliers.
    • If snap ring does not readily snap out of groove in yoke, tap end of bearing cup lightly in order to relieve pressure from ring.

graphic

• Remove universal joint caps using Universal Joint Remover/Installer J45270.
  • Remove front shaft half.
  •  

graphic

• Remove the lock ring (1) from the groove.
  • Discard lock ring.
  •  

graphic

1. Place Bearing Puller J22912-A on the splined yoke, as illustrated.
    2. Using a press, remove the yoke.

graphic

• Place the Bearing Puller J22912-01 behind the support bearing.
  • Place the shaft in a press, support the Bearing Puller J2291201 and press off the support bearing.
  •  

Experience: ASE Master tech, 30 years experience