2000 saturn SL2 Problem : When I first start the car it idles around 2200 and drops to normal. When I stop it stays idling high then drops to normal. If I'm driving down the road and throw it in neutral the idle stays around 2200-2400 and doesn't drop. Any ideas ?
Year : 2000Make : SaturnYear (other) : 2000Make (other) : SL2Engine : 1.9
Thanks for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you.
It sounds like you are dealing with an idle air control valve issue. The idle on your vehicle is controlled by the idle air control valve. The idle air control valve located on the throttle body opens to allow air into the intake manifold which keeps your engine running. Too much air will cause the engine to idle high.
Here is the information on how to replace the idle air control valve.
2. Lubricate new O-ring with clean engine oil and install on IAC valve.
3. Insert IAC valve in throttle body.
4. Install IAC valve attachment screws using thread coating, Saturn P/N 21485277 (Loctite(R) 242 Threadlocker or equivalent). Torque: 3 N.m (27 in-lbs)
5. Connect IAC valve harness connector. Push in connector until a click is heard and pull back to confirm a positive engagement.
6. Connect MAP sensor harness connector. Push in connector until a click is heard and pull back to confirm a positive engagement.
7. Connect TP sensor harness connector. Push in connector until a click is heard and pull back to confirm a positive engagement.
8. Install air induction tubing from throttle body to air cleaner. IMPORTANT: The PCM will have to go through an IAC relearn process once the new valve is installed. The vehicle should be run at normal operating temperature while varying the engine RPM slowly between 3500 and idle two or three times.
ASE Certified Parts and Service