Your Auto Inspector
Your Auto Inspector, ASE Certified Manager
Experience:  ASE Certified Parts and Service
10675526

2000 saturn SL2 Problem When I first start the car it idles

Customer Question

2000 saturn SL2 Problem : When I first start the car it idles around 2200 and drops to normal. When I stop it stays idling high then drops to normal. If I'm driving down the road and throw it in neutral the idle stays around 2200-2400 and doesn't drop. Any ideas ?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Your Auto Inspector replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you.

It sounds like you are dealing with an idle air control valve issue. The idle on your vehicle is controlled by the idle air control valve. The idle air control valve located on the throttle body opens to allow air into the intake manifold which keeps your engine running. Too much air will cause the engine to idle high.

Here is the information on how to replace the idle air control valve.

graphic

REMOVAL

1. Ignition Off.
  2. Remove air induction tubing from throttle body to air cleaner.
  3. Disconnect IAC valve harness connector.
  4. Disconnect TP sensor harness connector.
  5. Disconnect MAP sensor harness connector.
  6. Remove IAC valve attachment screws and IAC valve NOTE: The IAC valve is an electrical component and must not be soaked in any liquid solvent; otherwise damage could result.
  7. Remove O-ring from IAC valve and discard.

INSTALLATION

1. Clean IAC valve seating surfaces on the throttle body to assure proper seal of the new O-ring and contact of the IAC valve flange.

IMPORTANT:

• Before installing a new IAC valve, retract the pintle using the Scan tool.
  • Normal wear of the IAC pintle, characterized by a ring around the cone, is not an indication of a bad IAC valve.

2. Lubricate new O-ring with clean engine oil and install on IAC valve.

NOTE: If replacement is necessary, be sure to replace with an identical part. IAC valve pintle shape and diameter are designed for specific applications.

3. Insert IAC valve in throttle body.

4. Install IAC valve attachment screws using thread coating, Saturn P/N 21485277 (Loctite(R) 242 Threadlocker or equivalent). Torque: 3 N.m (27 in-lbs)

5. Connect IAC valve harness connector. Push in connector until a click is heard and pull back to confirm a positive engagement.

6. Connect MAP sensor harness connector. Push in connector until a click is heard and pull back to confirm a positive engagement.

7. Connect TP sensor harness connector. Push in connector until a click is heard and pull back to confirm a positive engagement.

8. Install air induction tubing from throttle body to air cleaner. IMPORTANT: The PCM will have to go through an IAC relearn process once the new valve is installed. The vehicle should be run at normal operating temperature while varying the engine RPM slowly between 3500 and idle two or three times.