Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show
10772012

It is revving high but the rpms are not increased..possible problems

The car sounds like it is revving high but the rpms are not increased. what could the possible problems be?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Ivan replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer Does the sound get louder as you go faster. I think you may have a wheel bearing that is making noise. As you go faster the sound would intensify, even becoming higher pitch. Does this sound like it my fit your problem?

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It does get louder and more intense as we go faster. Do you happen to know how much it will cost of fix, ballpark...at a saturn dealer?
Expert:  Ivan replied 7 years ago.
First, can you tell me if the sound seems like it's coming from the front or the back?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The front.
Expert:  Ivan replied 7 years ago.
Sure, the front hub bearing assembly costs $211.00 at the dealer and labor will be .8 hours, meaning it's less than an hour to install. Don't be surprised if when one side is replaced the other side is making noise. It doesn't always happen that way, but I've had that happen more than once.