Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, 32 Yrs Exp, All Cars/trucks
13677702

2000 Saturn LS: a time with finding the spark plugs to change them

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Saturn LS and I am having a time with finding the spark plugs to change them.
Would you happen to know where they are located?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.

Hello, the plugs are located under the igniton control module/coil pack assy. You will uinbolt that module then lift it off to get to plugs. The book directions follow.

REMOVAL

1. Turn ignition Off.
  2. Disconnect electrical connector at the electronic ignition module.
  3. Remove bolts from EI module/coil assembly and remove. IMPORTANT: Before removing the spark plugs, make sure water and other debris is blown off.
  4. Remove spark plugs using a spark plug socket.

INSTALLATION

1. Set spark plug gap to 0.045 in . IMPORTANT: Always coat spark plug threads with anti-seize compound before installation.
  2. Install spark plugs. Torque: 20 N.m (15 ft-lbs)
  3. Apply dielectric lubricant to spark plug boots.

1. Install EI module/coil assembly and bolts to cam cover. Torque: 10 N.m (89 in-lbs)
  2. Connect the electrical connector to the electronic ignition module.

graphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just brought the car and everything is so new to me. I also found out that the transmission is a sealed on. I was told that there is a bolt that I can access to check my fluids. Where would that be found.
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
graphic
  • Raise vehicle. Vehicle must be level, with engine running. CAUTION: THE TRANSAXLE FLUID IS HOT. CAUTION MUST BE TAKEN TO PREVENT PERSONAL INJURY IN THE EVENT TRANSAXLE FLUID DOES DRAIN FROM THE PLUG HOLE AFTER THE PLUG IS REMOVED.
  • Remove transaxle level plug with engine running.
  • Check fluid level. The fluid level should be even with the bottom of threaded plug hole. Check condition of transaxle fluid. NOTICE: Saturn ATF (P/N 21005966) is not compatible with this transaxle. If Saturn ATF is used, transaxle damage will result. This transaxle uses DEXRON(R) III ATF (P/N 21019223).
  • Customer: replied 7 years ago.
    You are awesome. Thank you for your help. I can't wait to get off work and get this done. Being a female and 5 feet and 120. I get laughed at all the time about my desire to fix my own cars. Thanks
    Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
    Welcome,. Thanks
    Customer: replied 7 years ago.
    Ok I am back. Now I need to know is my 1,3,5 coil pack on the left bank or the right bank. The dealer calls it a 1,3,5 coil pack and the auto store keeps asking me if it's the right or left. Niether one seem to understand the other terminology.
    Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
    135 ignition coil module is the one closest to the firewall This would be the right side of engine