George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years

93 Saturn: Wagon..check engine light..control module..the speedometer

Customer Question

I have a 93 Saturn SW Wagon w/ a check engine light on and no speedometer. I had Superlube do a diag test and they said I need a passive restraint control module, along w a thrust alignmnt and tie rod.. which I didnt think came out on a DX test. My question is, can the PRCM contribute to the speedometer not working? The car was never in an accident as far as I know and the bag never deplyed. They did say that when they removed the PRCM, the speedometer worked, but the sealbelt wouldnt so I told them to put that thing back in there. They cahrged $50 for the dx and handed me a work order for $600. I'm thinking it sounds all related to the SRS airbag stuff, but I'm totally just guessing. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  cartech replied 7 years ago.
i dont beleive prcm will cause the speedo to quite i would be more likely to be the vss i will pull a diagram
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was waiting to see if you pulled a diagram on this model, are you able to assist me further with this issue? I work for Progressive Insurance and have access to Saturn repair database but haven't come across anything yet. Also, I didnt see any recalls on my system for this issue. The speedometer still is not working and the check engine light is still on. Is there a fuse that needs replaced? Any assistance is appreciated!
Expert:  cartech replied 7 years ago.
ive got nothing else i will open the question for you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can I ask what you mean by "open the question", does that mean that you can't help me further? Is there a referral process when a question needs additional attention? Thanks!
Expert:  cartech replied 7 years ago.
this is automatically sent out to the other technitions to see if one of them may be able to assist you there is nothing to do i all ready sent it out