Scott K
Scott K, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician with L1 with 20+ years of experience

Replace the Mass Air Flow Sensor on a 2002 6 cylinder saturn l300

How do you replace the Mass Air Flow Sensor on a 2002 6 cylinder Saturn L200

Hello and welcome to Just answer,

This is a fairly simple replacement, Make sure the key is in the OFF position, Loosen the 2 hose clamps on each side then disconnect the electrical connector, slide the sensor from the two large hoses, reverse to install.

The sensor is located on the aircleaner cover as shown below

Object Number: 897187  Size: SH

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there just one MAF sensor on the 6 cyl. engine? The "service engine soon" light came on and I took it to the dealer. They ran the codes ($75) and the primary code was for a fuel filter which I authorized them to replace (about $100). The light came back on, and they tell me the MAS replacement is over $300. So long as there is just one MAF, I'm willing to purchase the part (remanufactured) at an auto parts store for $90 and install it myself, but I'm not a mechanic, but I can do basic maintenance- oil changes, air filters, radiator flush, etc.

Is this fairly simple job, or am I getting in over my head? Can you give me another schematic of the MAF showing it in the context of the engine compartment (broader view) please. Thanks

Simple Job all you need is a flathead screwdriver. There is just one MAF on your engine.

Click HERE for the diagram of the engine compartment, Notice the Arrow "A" in the diagram the MAF is just above this connected to the air cleaner.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Should I have any concerns about using a remanufactured MAF? The Saturn dealership is asking $276 for just the part, but it's available at O'Reilly for about $80.   You've been really helpful. Thanks for your patience.

Most Reman parts have a good warranty, and are acceptable replacements, I would consider using the reman for $80 since the price Gap is so wide, but nothing is better than Original equipment parts.

If you can go to and use their locater service and see if they have a retailer near your location, you can get the same one they are selling you at the dealer ship for around $175-200, which is a new one, they also offer their reman one for about $125.

The only problem with using the one from Oriellys is, if this doesn't fix the problem the delaer has a leg to stand on in saying that you used an aftermarket reman part. but for $200 difference I would take a shot at the reman.

Scott K

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Scott. Sorry to keep you hanging. I purchased the reman Bosch part yesterday and installed it per your instructions. You saved us a good deal- thanks. I'm a believer in this service. I'm going to accept and pay you what I owe you, but I have one last question. When we picked up the car from the dealer after the fuel filter change, the "service engine soon" light was off, but has subsequently come back on. I've know replaced the MAFS and the light is still on. Will it go off on it's own when I drive, or do I need to do something to turn it off to confirm that I've fixed the problem. Thanks.

If there are not any more problems the light will eventually go away on its on, it will take some time.

If you take the car by oriellys where you bought the part, they usually can clear the code with a reader free of charge.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for everything. I'm looking for a way to increase my payment. I don't see it, but you've earned more than $9 so I'd like to increase my payment.

Sorry for the delay and I see you found what you were looking for.

Thanks appreciate the accept and bonus money and the positive feedback.

Let me know if you have more questions

Scott K