ase_master327
ase_master327, Saturn Technician
Experience:  +15 years exp.with Saturns. 5 time Expert of the Month. Bumper to bumper diagnosis and repair.
907259

Code P1599, engine bogs down and rpms go down, then way up.

Code P1599, engine bogs down and rpms go down, then way up. Shifts hard when hot.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 5 years ago.
Hi, thanks for asking!
What is the year, model, and engine size of your Saturn?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's a 2110 L200, 2.2 4 cylinder
What's the year model again?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2001 - sorry, I'm dyslexic!
lol, me too sometime!!!

OK.. anyways this code is only saying that the engine has actually stalled. This is USUALLY going to point to the crankshaft position sensor. Which will cause the type of situation you are having, if it were messing up, or had some kind of 'damage' to the sensor or wiring.
This code sets when the engine is running, and there is power to the ignition circuits, and it still stalls.. An intermittent crank position sensor will definitely do that. Some of them even start leaking.. when they are about to go bad.

Anyways, this code is not one that turns on the engine light.. So I have to ask.. Were there any other codes stored in the computer? Especially.. P0336?
IF so.. then you already know.

Hope it helps!
ase_master327, Saturn Technician
Experience: +15 years exp.with Saturns. 5 time Expert of the Month. Bumper to bumper diagnosis and repair.
Hi, I seen your feedback.. you can just reply back here.. the question never actually closes on your end, unless you personally close it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The check engine light never came on. The only code that showed up was P1599.
Hi.. Yeah, I would be looking into that crank position sensor, still.. Might drive it with the scantool hooked up, and monitor RPM.. when the engine starts running bad.. See if the RPM drops out.. If it does. then you have a crank position sensor problem.

There are other things that will cause an engine to stall.. but they usually come with problems cranking back up and such. Also, since you mention it happens when the engine is hot.. I would not rule out a possible problem with the torque converter.. If it locks and unlocks when it is not supposed to.. you would have this type of situation. So, check the condition of the transmission fluid.. IT should look exactly the same as the day it was poured out of the bottle. If not, then the transmission is overheating... and that will cause all kinds of prpoblems especially with the torque converter locking system.
ase_master327, Saturn Technician