gentry314, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  associates degree automotive technology

1996 saturn: mount..the new one has a hard rubber block, bigger..bolt

Customer Question

Bought a shift cable for my 1996 saturn SL2. The old cable had a grommet/mount around the cables where it went thru the floor but the new one has a hard rubber block, bigger than the grommet with two studs and nuts that would make it appear you are to bolt the cable in the hole. The problem is that the hole is not big enough to modify to make it fit and my dealer insists it is the correct part. The number he gave me is 21005846. I guess I could cut off the new grommet/mount and use the one off of the bad cables but that seems like a lot of work.
Submitted: 7 years ago via
Category: Saturn
Expert:  gentry314 replied 7 years ago.

I would not modify it when you purchased it you should not have to modfiy any mfg part

Service and Repair

1. Remove console assembly. Refer to Shift Cable Replacement . See: Shift Linkage\Shift Cable\Service and Repair
  2. Remove three ignition switch bezel attaching screws, then remove bezel.
  3. Place ignition switch on, depress cable retaining tab, then remove cable from ignition module.
  4. Unsnap park lock cable end terminal from shifter plastic lock out lever.
  5. Depress cable housing end fitting tabs, then remove cable from shifter assembly.
  6. Remove cable, noting cable routing.

1. Ensure cable is routed through accelerator pedal bracket retainer.
  2. Install cable, route cable same as cable was removed.
  3. Turn ignition on, install cassette end of cable to ignition module, then turn ignition off.
  4. Install park lock cable fitting end to shifter assembly, ensure completely seated.
  5. Using a screwdriver, lift cable end fitting lock tab to allow housing to move freely in end fitting.
  6. Attach park lock cable end terminal to plastic lock out lever on shifter.
  7. Adjust park lock cable as follows:
    1. With ignition off, shifter in park, depress cable end fitting lock and remove adjustment clip from new cable end terminal.
    2. If connecting a cable that does not have an adjustment clip, adjust clip to provide 0.005 inch gap between cable and end and cable to park lock connector.
  1. Verify park lock operation as follows:
    1. With ignition off and shifter in park, attempt to shift lever out of park, lever should not shift out of park.
    2. Turn ignition to on position, then attempt to shift lever out of park, lever should shift out of park.
    3. With lever out of park, turn ignition to off position, key should be able to be removed from ignition.
    4. Attempt to shift lever to park, this should not be allowed.
    5. Turn ignition off, then attempt to remove ignition key, removal should occur.
    6. If steps a through e are not as indicated, readjust cable.
  1. Install lower ignition switch bezel attaching screws.
  2. Install console assembly.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I know how to install the cable. My problem is that the cables are not the same as I described in my previous question. What I am asking is, has anyone had a new cable that does not match the old cable and if so, what did they do when the dealer tells you it is the correct part number for the new cable?
Expert:  gentry314 replied 7 years ago.
Parts Information
PartOEM PartPrice
Shift Cable
Shift Cable21120125$133.41
Contact dealer for most current part and price information.
Shift Cable
Shift Control CableC1.62.2

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Now I am curious if you understand what I am asking. it doesn't sound like it. I gave the dealer the 21120125 number and he said he could not do anything with it. Shop key gives you the 21005846 number that I mentioned in my first question. That is the cable I have BUT it is different in how it mounts going thru the Firewall. I think I explained my problem pretty good in my first question but if I need to tell you more please ask.
Expert:  gentry314 replied 7 years ago.

have you contacted a 2nd dealer to verify

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No I have not as the parts man I work with has 30 years experience with parts and has made several phone calls and everyone tells him it is the correct cable. I Have dealt with this dealer for 20 plus years and not had a problem that could not be solved. But I will call another dealer and see what they say.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I called another Saturn dealer and they faxed me a picture of the same cable with the same part number that I already have that does not fit. So I have decided to swap grommets and be done with it. I have spent my morning on this problem and am not going to waste anymore time. I still never got an answer to my original question concerning having two shift cables with different firewall mounts.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The reason I haven't paid is written in the above box. The tech never even addressed my problem that I listed when I started and I kept alluding to that and still got nowhere. I have not seen any answer from a second tech but due to the fact that I had spent so much time not getting an answer to my original question I feel I should not have to pay. All the information that was given to me I already had. Let me know if I need to explain myself further. I would gladly pay if I had gotten some help.