JonathanOnny
JonathanOnny, Saturn Technician
Experience:  ase, fully certified gm tech
6124003

1999 saturn: My daytime running lights wont turn

Customer Question

Good Morning,

My name is Cindy.
I have a 1999 Saturn SL1. My daytime running lights won't turn off even went the car of turned off. Also, either my brights or dims are not working. Had to pull fuses to shut the running lights off. Help!
Category: Saturn
Expert:  JonathanOnny replied 5 years ago.
hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX now this car very well. lets start by putting the headlamp fuse back into the fuse block. then i need you to remove the steering column cover. there are five 5.5mm screws under the steering column. takes these out then you are able to see the back of the headlamp switch. see if you see any broken wires or burnt wires. then remove the headlamp switch connector. i think it is blue in color but not sure. it should be right behind the headlamp switch. if this shuts your headlamps off then the switch is no good. but if the light remain on then you have a wire shorted to ground or vise versa. lets start here and see what happens. thanks for using just answer Jon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Jon,

My husband opened the steering column cover, removed all of the switch connectors but the running lights are still on. Also, in case this helps, usually the parking break will shut the running lights off that is no longer working either. The parking lights are also staying on when the car is off.

then you have a short to ground or to 12 volts hot. you will have to look for it now. since you now know its not the switch you will have to visually look for the short. start by the headlight wiring and follow it down to the under hood fuse box. this is my only suggestion since i cant help you any other way. this is what i would do myself. you can ohm out each wire and see if you have excessive resistance. are you good with a meter? thanks again jon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Jon,

We were finally able to get a meter and a Haynes repair manual for the S series Saturn. My husband Chuck has some questions.

1) He needs to know where the Body Control Module, IP Switch and the DRL Relay are located. Is it possible for one of these to be to cause the problem with the daytime riunning lights? Also, The high beams will not come on.

2) What is the Body Control Modules function?

3) In the Lever Combo Control switch do we use the black wire to measue ohm's to the pink wire? If not then what?

4) There are 2 pink wires in the Lever Control Switch. Which one do we ohm?

5) The I/P Switch also has a pink wire that goes to the right high beam, within that switch there is a solid state, what is it's function?

6)The black wire that comes out of the Lever Combo switch goes to the I/P Splice pack too, what is it's function

7) There is a DRL Switch under the hood in the fuse block that the right high beam goes to, what is it's function?

7) He needs to know where the Body Control Module, IP Switch and the DRL Relay are located. Is it possible for one of these to be to cause the problem with the daytime riunning lights? Also, The high beams will not come on.

Thanks again

Cindy Brown

hello again sorry about the response time. lets start with the first question. question number 1 there is no bcm in this year car. first year bcm came out in the year 2000 and it was located under the drivers side dash board. the ip switch is the multfunction switch. it is the headlamp switch. we already check this so let rule this out for now. then the drl relay is in the underhood junction box. look for a gray relay that says drl. question number 2 what does the bcm do? the bcm is a computer that controls all electical accersories that are connected to the body. this will control lights, windows, locks and many more. question number 3 you want to measure ohms at the headlamp switch. you can not just measure ohms at the headlamp switch to another wire since the other end will go through the headlamp bulb itself and cause excessive resistance and give you a false reading. to correctly measure ohms you need to disconnect the headlamp switch and measure the opposite end while its unplugged at the headlamps. let me work on a sechmatic for you. i just don't have one handy with me right now. question number 4 there are 2 pink wires and you want to now which one you ohm out. the answer is neither one. you have to measure one end of the wire to the other. question number 5. the pink wire at the headlamp switch is not the same pink wire at the right high beam. car manufactures use the same color wire throught the car. i will need a pin location on the high beam not just color. look at the connector and tell me the number or letter on the black connector itself. question number 6 the black wire that comes out of the headlamp switch to the splice pack. a splice pack is a group of usually black wires that go into a little black box. this has only one purpose and it is use to ground certain circuits. question number 7 the drl switch that goes to the fuse box? not sure what you are asking here but sounds like the answer should be is that it is using the fuse box to contain all of the circuits fuses. question number 8 sounds like a repeat. thanks agian Jon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Jon,

My computer has been down and I am just getting back to my car issue. In your last respone you wrote "to correctly measure ohms you need to disconnect the headlamp switch and measure the opposite end while its unplugged at the headlamps. let me work on a sechmatic for you. i just don't have one handy with me right now."

Might you have a schematic for me?

Also, from what I understand, the wiring harness is all one piece for all of the headlights. Is there a different part that could be bad? Or would it make sense to go ahead and replace the harness?

Thanks

Cindy