Greg A.
Greg A., Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years
5229702

My right turn signal blinks really fast while the left signal

My right turn signal blinks really fast while the left signal is normal. I have no tail lights or brake lights at all on the right side, once again left side is normal. I have replaced both the bulb and fuse, and it has not fixed the problem. I am thinking a short somewhere. Where should I start looking?

Thanks,
Ed
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 years ago.

Hello & Welcome,

Can you tell us the Year & Model of you vehicle?

If you have the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) handy, that would be good.

Also, do you have a test light or multimeter you can use to do some tests?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

2005 Saturn L200

VIN #1GU52F01Y531655

Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 years ago.

OK - Thanks.

Do you have a test light or mulimeter you can do some testing with?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry, I forgot to answer that part. No, I do not have anything to test with. I have a parts store about 3 blocks from my house, should I pick one up? If so, what is a good price for one?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 years ago.

That is the way I would go.

Test lights run about $5-$10, Multimeters are a little higher ($10-$15), depending on where you go. You don't need anything fancy.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, I can go pick one up....after I get one, what should I do? message you back?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 years ago.

That would be good.

During that time I can get some schematics and try to find the poiints where you can test for power & ground going to that right side light.

Thanks, XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, will be back shortly....how do I let you know when I return with the test light?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 years ago.
Just send me another note. I could have something posted for you when you get back.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Okay, I am back, I picked up a test light for $7

Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 years ago.

Wow - That was fast!

Let me just clarify - Did you say that you have no tail light turning on at the right rear of the car? I assume that the left rear works?

I ask because that is where I would like to start.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, that is correct. No tail light or brake light on the right side. Turn signal blinks really fast. Left side has no problems at all. I have replaced the fuse and the bulb, and it did not take care of the problem.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 years ago.

OK - Good.

We will start by turning on the parking lights and looking for power at the tail light bulb or wiring coming into the tail lamp assembly. Here is the schematic showing those wires.

graphic

If you have power there, then we have a ground problem, which is what I suspect, if there is no turn, tail, or brake light there.

Please let me know what you find or if you need more instructions.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

On the right side, the brown wire is the only wire that is showing any power. I tried the left side which is working correctly, and the brown wire, once again was the only wire with power...What should I do now?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 years ago.

And the right tail light is not working - is that correct?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Correct.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 years ago.

OK.

Assuming the bulb is OK, what was the condition of the socket when you replaced the bulb? Did you notice any burn marks or possible melting of the socket?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no, i did not. And the bulb has been replaced.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 years ago.

OK. The next step would be to remove the bulb and CAREFULLY probe the contact pins inside the socket to see if power is making it to that point.

I would also double-check that bulb to make sure it is the right type, or maybe even swap it with the other side.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, here is what I did and what I found. First off, the wiring goes to a metal bracket, then the electrical current is passed along the metal bracket to the proper light plug. There is a plug in for the turn signal, one for the backup light, and one for turn signal and tail light. There is juice going to the turn signal, and the signal flashes really fast. I detected power at the turn signal and tail light plug one time, then I could not detect power there a second or third time. Hopefully this makes sense. What now?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 years ago.

It sounds like you have an intermittent connection there. The fact that the turn signal flashes fast is an indicator that one or more of the bulbs is not working.

There could also be a problem with connecting to ground. Here is a diagram where the ground splice connector is, just in case you have to get into that area.

graphic

I would examine those connections at the right tail light assembly more carefully to see if you can find something wrong there. Hopefully you will not have to replace that tail light assembly.

PS. I have to go out for a while but will check back on you when I get back.

Greg A., Master Troubleshooter
Experience: Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, sounds good. Thanks for your help and I will see what I can come up with....I am mechanically illeteriate...LOL....Have a good weekend.