FIXITMAN, Master Technician

2001 saturn l300: starts, but then dies immediately

Customer Question

my 2001 Saturn L200 starts, but then dies immediately. Sometimes it will do this, sometimes it won't. Sometimes it will take 2-3 times to get it running. Sometimes it won't start at all, but I can walk out 6 hours later and it will fire right up. What in the world is wrong with this car?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer have you noticed if the security light is on or flashing when cranking the engine and it will not start?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes. when it dies the security light flashes. sometimes it will restart after it stops. sometimes it wont.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 years ago.
Okay. And when it does not restart does the security light seem to stay on when attempting to start the vehicle?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
when I attempt to start the vehicle, it runs for about 2 seconds then dies. the security light flashes for 10 seconds-5 minutes. when I attempt to restart, 1 of 2 things will happen. either the car will start and run fine, or it will do the same thing over and over and over.... run for 2 seconds, die, then flash security, the security light is never solid.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 years ago.
Okay. This is going to be a problem with the vehicles security system. It is common for this to happen with the passlock system. On your vehicle the most common cause of the problem is the passlock sensor located in the key lock cylinder. I would recommend replacing this and going from there.