john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech 15 + years foreign domestic & european
6149662

My 2001 Saturn SL1 is overheating at extended idling. My mechanic

Customer Question

My 2001 Saturn SL1 is overheating at extended idling. My mechanic replaced the cooling fan. It continues to overheat and will not turn on unless I turn on the AC.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 7 years ago.

has he changed the fan relay?

Locations
Radiator Cooling Fan Motor Relay
Notes
Underhood Fuse Block (UHFB)
Notes
Locations View

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just called my mechanic. He said that was the first thing he checked. He seems to think it could be vapor lock due to burnt valves or head gasket or a temp. sensor. He wants me to run the car with the AC on for a while to see if it stays cool at idling. If it does, he will replace the temp. sensor. If it doesn't, he thinks the problem is major (head gasket, valves. Do you agree?

I would start with a 20 dollar coolant temp sensor if it was me. Ive never seen a head gasket go bad on a saturn but it is a alluminum head and anything is possible if it has overheated.

Notes

ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE (ECT) SENSOR

REMOVAL

Assembly

1. Ignition Off. IMPORTANT: Engine coolant must be drained below the level of the ECT sensor. Refer to "Cooling System Section" for drain and fill procedures.
  2. Remove air induction tubing from throttle body to air cleaner.
  3. Disconnect ECT sensor harness connector. IMPORTANT: The connector must be removed by squeezing the sides. Apply pressure to the sides gently with pliers. Do not pull on wires.
  4. Remove ECT sensor using a deep-well socket.

INSTALLATION

IMPORTANT: Tap out sensor mounting hole in engine head to remove thread sealant residue. Clean any sealant residue from old sensor and apply RTV sealant to threads if old sensor is going to be reused.

Assembly

1. Apply thread sealant Saturn P/N 21485277 (Loctite 242(R) Threadlocker or equivalent) to sensor threads.
  2. Install ECT sensor. Torque: Coolant Temperature Sensor: 8 N.m (71 in-lbs)
  3. Connect ECT sensor harness connector. Push in connector until a click is heard and pull back to confirm a positive engagement.
  4. Install air induction tubing from throttle body to air cleaner.
  5. Fill engine coolant to proper level. (Refer to Cooling System for procedure.)
  6. Check for leaks.

Notes

ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE (ECT) SENSOR

REMOVAL

Assembly

INSTALLATION

Assembly

6. Check for leaks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

John,

I replaced the sensor today. The fan kicked on at half hot. Way to go!

Jose'

woo hooo im glad it worked for yaCool if you are satisfied with me please leave positive feed back