Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

2006 Saturn VUE: My rear hatch

Customer Question

My rear hatch on a 2006 Saturn VUE won't open. How do I replace the lock and/or other parts on a 2006 VUE?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
the big problem is that the interior panel has to be removed to be able to release the latch
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Alright, how about finishing the answer....I already know you have to access it through the interior panel, since there is no way to get in through the exterior part of the hatch. How do you take the interior panel off in order to gain access to the lock and once you gain access to it how do you "trip" the lock to open it?

Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
im going to let someone else help i cant find my diagram on the panel at this time
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. Thank you and I will be waiting for an answer.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I am another expert trying to further assist you with this problem. At this point I think you are really looking for info on how to remove the interior trim panel. Here is how this is done. The gate being stuck shut is going to make this difficult.

Object Number: 977555  Size: SH

• Open the liftgate.
  • Remove the liftgate trim fasteners.
  • Pull on the lower part of the liftgate to disengage the attaching clips. Partially remove the liftgate trim.
    Object Number: 980931  Size: SH

• Pull the liftgate trim from the liftgate structure and disconnect the liftgate lamp harnesses.
  • Disengage the upper liftgate attaching clips.
  • Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Thank you for your input, it helps a little. BUT, I am sorry to tell you that info really does not help me much because the liftgate will not open. What I have been asking is.....How do you get the liftgate door open since it will not seem to unlock and will not open the "normal" way? Once I am able to get the liftgate door open, I can pretty much figure out how to gain access to the lock mechanism to replace it. In other words, since the liftgate will not open by the normal way, how can I get it to open?
    Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
    Well you are going to have to do what I have mentioned above. This is the only way to access the liftgate internals when a failure like this occurs. Removing this panel will give you access to the door latch assembly as well as the linkage from the handle to the latch assembly. I wish I could tell you of a backup but there just are none.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Well, I am sorry you can't help me because the screws you told me to remove are hidden by the liftgate being closed and not able to open. I guess I will have to pay the dealer $250.00 to open the liftgate and replace the lock mechanism. I just wonder how you would be able to open the liftgate if I was to bring the vehicle to you to fix the problem.....I guess you would not have any idea how to open the liftgate. Sorry, but I cannot pay you the $15.00 fee because I am not any closer to doing it myself now than I was before I started this with your Company.
    Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
    Well if this was in the shop I work for, we would need to work behind the panel as best as possible. I understand your frustration, but you must understand when problems like this arise, you are somewhat limited. If I were you, I would try to loosen the trim panel as best as possible. I understand that there are fasteners what are in areas that are not accessible, but atleast with the top and side loose, you could get in under the trim panel to the latch assembly. To do this, you would not have to completely remove the trim panel. I wish I could tell you other ways, but there are no backups on this model. Good luck to you I wish I could of been of more assistance. If you would like, I can opt out to see if any other experts have run into this type of failure, if you would like me to do so, just let me know.