Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show

2001 saturn sl2 wont start but lights, radio, windows, etc are fine

Customer Question

2001 saturn sl2 won't start but lights, radio, windows, etc are fine
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Ivan replied 7 years ago.

Hello Jeanne, the first thing that needs to be checked is if you have power at the starter when the ignition is turned to crank. There are two terminals on your starter. The main battery cable and a smaller terminal on the starter solenoid which is the smaller portion of the starter. The smaller terminal should get 12 volts when the key is turned to start. If it does, the starter is bad. If there is not power there, let me know and I'll tell you where to go next.

Your JA Expert,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
that didn't work- also you can hear a humming when the key is in on position
Expert:  Ivan replied 7 years ago.
Did you have power on that starter solenoid wire when you turned the car to start?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Ivan replied 7 years ago.
Ok, we'll go further, is your car automatic or manual?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

also, I haven't had any problems like this until today. Car sat about an hour, went to the store, it was fine. Came out and everything was working except it took me 3 attempts to get the engine to start. Ran fine on the way back. Have tried jumping it, and read about leaving key in on position for 10 minutes to reset computer and tried to start... nothing. I don't know if that is the accurate way to reset the computer(s) or if there is another way. Have made several attempts, no clicking noise or anything like that. Can hear the fuel pump too.

Expert:  Ivan replied 7 years ago.

Ok, we are going to focus on why the starter won't crank and everything should become normal from there. In the underhood fuse box there is a fuse labeled IGN3. make sure you have power on both sides of the fuse. Then at the ignition switch the is a yellow wire that I want you to test for 12 volts when you turn the car to start. Here is a location for the ignition switch and a connector view to help you. I'm on the East coast, so I'm going to call it a night, but post me your results and I'll pick up with you first thing in the morning. We'll figure this out, don't worry.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm in Kissimmee, so I completely understand, not much light out so will check and get back with you later.
Expert:  Ivan replied 7 years ago.
I want you to try something also. Move the shifter into neutral and see if it starts. Wiggle the shifter in park and see what happens as well. Let me know.