peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

My Saab is showing drive on dash but its in park and will

Customer Question

my Saab is showing drive on dash but its in park and will not shift out of park! is there an emergency gear shift release because the car is stuck on the street
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: none
JA: What is the model/year of your Saab?
Customer: 2006 saab 97x
JA: Are you fixing your 9-7X yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: im just trying to get it in gear to move it so i can get it fexed
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Saab
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 13 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is this the 6 cylinder or V8 engine in this model here?

Was anything done on your vehicle before this fault occurred at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
its a 9-7x 4.2l. i literally just purchased it yesterday and this happened. No codes or anything was on

Just to be sure is the shifter lever all the way up in the park position with this fault here?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
its in park

I apologize for the delay its busy in here today.

O.k.,unfortunately I do not see an easy release on this model to release it from park.You would have to disconnect the shifter cable at the transmission with the wheels blocked to keep the vehicle from rolling then shift the transmission lever manually into neutral to move the vehicle.

What sounds like has failed here and this can be common is either the shifter cables broke,causing the transmission to actually be in drive and the shifter to be in park also the cable will seize and allow no movement when trying to shift when it broke.This is common.The other issue is the transmission neutral safety switch itself needing replaced.This fails and sends incorrect transmission position signals causing this fault.This is located on the side of the transmission as shown below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z1vqa12ivods2js/tr-01-08.gif?dl=0

This will have to be looked into further to be sure of the component at fault here then repaired from there to resolve this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete