sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Changing battery and alarm won't stop going off. Trying to

Customer Question

Changing battery and alarm won't stop going off. Trying to work on alarm module idea. Do I need to remove the seat to actually get to it? (97 900SE, US)--but hoping there's a fuse I can just remove?
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: Yes, a few months ago, and didn't have any issue with the alarm going off then. I think it wasn't as dead for so long...
JA: What year is your 900SE?
Customer: 1997
JA: Are you fixing your 900SE yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm just replacing the dead battery, as I have to move it to avoid a ticket (have loved the car ~15 years, but have another vehicle now, and can't quite part with my Saab).
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, just about hooking up the battery/disconnecting the alarm (so I can finish connecting the battery). I tried the key ON, door open, and restarting, but I couldn't restart the car. And pissing my neighbors off with the alarm. Need to silence it.
Category: Saab
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer

If the alarm is factory then there are two ways to disarm it, provided it's still fully functional.

Pressing the unlock button on the key fob will disarm it if you still have a functional fob.

If the disarm switches are still intact then unlocking any door with a lock cylinder using the key in the door will disarm it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks--key fob didn't work (new batteries in fob, so presume battery too dead to power receiver in car).For key in cylinder, which way do you turn it to stop alarm? And should door be open or closed for this?

It won't matter if the door is open or closed and you'll turn the key to the unlock position. Either way, the alarm is being disarmed after the good battery is installed and hooked up.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've not had a chance yet to try this again--want to have help to minimize time the horn may be sounding if this doesn't work.
Also since I've not tried it yet, I'm not sure if I'll have more questions or not. But so far appreciate your fast response(s)!Thanks,
Susan

You're welcome!