Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

I HAVE LOST BOTH MY 2008 SAAB 9-3 KEY FOBS. I ORDERED ONE

Customer Question

I HAVE LOST BOTH MY 2008 SAAB 9-3 KEY FOBS. I ORDERED ONE AND TOWED IT TO A DEALER THAT INITIALLY SAID IT WOULD COST ME APPROXIMATELY $70.00 TO PROGRAM THE KEY. THEY THEN INFORMED ME THAT MY IMMOBILIZER SYSTEM AS WELL AS MY IGNITION SYSTEM WOULD NEED TO BE REPLACED COSTING NOW $1900.00 BEFORE THEY COULD PROGRAM THE KEY. TO MY KNOWLEDGE THERE HAVE ONLY BEEN 2 KEYS PROGRAMMED TO THE SYSTEM. FROM WHAT I HAVE READ THE SYSTEM CAN HAVE UP TO 5 KEYS PROGRAMMED. HOW CAN YOU DETERMINE IF THE SYSTEM HAS REACHED THAT LIMIT AND WHY WOULD THE IGINITOIN SYSTEM ALSO NEED TO BE REPLACED? IS THERE ANY OTHER OPTIONS SUCH AS BYPASS FOR THIS SYSTEM?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Saab
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

There is no by pass to the system .

The reason why the ECM and the CIM module around the steering and 2 keys needs replaced BECAUSE BOTH YOUR ORIGINAL KEYS WERE LOST .

IF YOU ONLY HAD ONE KEY LOST AND ONE LEFT THEN YOU REPROGRAM FOR $70 PLUS THE PRICE OF THE KEY .

WITH NEITHER ORIGINAL KEYS , HE CAN NOT ACCESS THE ECM TO REPROGRAM PERIOD .

When they do get the ECM and the keys , he will have to hook up online with Saab Manufacturer to get access codes to activate that ECM and the keys .

I know that is not what you want to hear but that will be the one and best option you have available.

2nd option ,is a used ECM, CIM (located around the steering) and KEY and Ignition switch from a used car ,THEY ALL HAVE TO BE FROM SAME CAR AND INSTALLED IN YOURS

BUT BY THE TIME YOU DO THAT IT COST AS MUCH AS NEW STUFF MAYBE A LITTLE CHEAPER .

Please let me know if the works for you or you have more questions

Thank You

Chad Farhat

I know it is a crazy amount to spend , but Saab are Known for being expensive if both keys are lost , since 2 additional modules needs replacing and 2 keys .

on ebay you will see some junk yards , have all used parts needed and they are selling them as a set ,you can look into that .

not recommend ,

Now the Cim module and The ECM can be bought cheaper from dealer if you know a repair shop and buy under his name yiu get 20% off.

Chad

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat