peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

My saab 2004 9.3 radiator cooling fans will not turn with

Customer Question

My saab 2004 9.3 radiator cooling fans will not turn with air no fans or hot temp
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: No coolant leaks I NEED TO TEST THE FAN RELAY .
JA: What is the model of your '04 Saab?
Customer: 9.3 20t
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I HAVE PUT A NEW COOLING TEMP SENCOR AND TEST WIRE 5.V AND GOOD GROUND. I CAN NOT A FUSE OR A FAN SWITCH ONLY FAN RELAY ON THE TWO FANS IT HAS 7 PINS.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I PUT 12 V TO BOTH FANS DIRECT TO BATTERY , AND BOTH RUN GOOD I REPLACED THE FAN RELAY.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Saab
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
THIS IS 2004 SAAB 9.3 2.0T COOLING FANS HAVE TESTED WITH 12 RUN GOOD BUT
ECM WILL NOT TURN ON WHEN THE ENGINE IS HOT OR IF YOU TURN THE AIR ON THE
ON FAN WILL COME ON FOR 2 SEC THEN TURNOFF AND THE COMPRESSION WILL STOP
TURNING.
I HAVE REPLACED THE COOLING TEMP SENCOR AND CHECK THE POWER FROM ECM WHICH
WAS 5VOLTS AND GOOD GROUND I SEE NO OTHER PROBLEM EXPECT THE ECM I HAVE
NOT CHANGED. I HAVE CHANGED THE FAN RELAY AND NO HELP.I SEE OTHER SAAB OWNER WITH THE SAME PROBLEM AND NO ANSWER.I HAVE THIS
SINCE 2004 227000 MILES NO OTHER PROBLEMS MY CAR HAS NEVER BEN IN A SHOP.
I WORK ON ALL MY EQUIPMENT. IT HAS NO ENGINE CODES. HOW DO DETERMINE IF IT
IS THE ECM?
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If there are no issues with wiring from the ECM and relay and all fuses are good this is usually a fault in the ECM itself.The internal circuit that commands the fans on can fail in the ECM with the ECM needing replaced.It sounds like you have covered all other components to try and resolve this here but the ECM itself.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete