sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have ano early 2003 9-3 convertible. The brakes a

Customer Question

I have ano early 2003 9-3 convertible. The brakes a dragging. I saw smoke from drivers side front wheel and replaced the hose and caliper. Same problem. It's like I am holding the brakes slightly when I am driving. There is no ABS light on. The check engine light is on and says torque converter input circuit high. What could the problem be? I have someone who wants to buy it but it can't be driven very far with the brakes dragging.
Category: Saab
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the problem is at a single wheel then the caliper, hose and such would be suspect but if you have multiple wheels dragging then a master cylinder or booster issue would be more likely. Pads binding in their slides will cause dragging but hopefully that was addressed when the original work was done.

Is it just one wheel that is dragging or are multiple wheels dragging but the left front was just the one you saw smoking?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Once I changed the left front it seems that both front wheels are still dragging. There was no visible sign of smoke on the right side but I could smell the brakes. Could the master cylinder do this or the ABS module? I would much rather change the master than the ABS mod/pump.

THe ABS module shouldn't be a concern but the hydraulic control unit could potentially hold pressure on the front calipers. With the front wheels dragging can you loosen the master cylinder retaining nuts a couple turns with the front wheels off the ground and see if this releases the calipers?