peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

Got a 2001 9-3 SE 2.0t automatic oil all over driver's side

Customer Question

Hi Tom,
got a 2001 9-3 SE 2.0t automatic
oil all over driver's side of engine and transmission, dripping down to exhaust and smoking like crazy.
pulled rubber plug on torque converter cover, no oil from rear main.
replaced valve cover gasket with new. was leaking a little but minor.
I've cleaned the engine with spray cleaner and compressed air. It seems to be coming from the brake booster. Oil on top of ABS valve.
So... seems it's coming from engine via intake or vacuum pump on end of cam shaft.
How do I diagnose further and what do I minimally have to replace.
Vacuum pump is pulling vacuum fine at idle. no obvious oil coming from pump when disconnected. Having a hard time understanding how oil could run up stream against the vacuum it pulls.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Saab
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If this model is equipped with a pcv valve if this valve is stuck closed this can cause a fault like this here as the crank case would build pressure.Usually there is a pcv valve or breather hose for the intake and this can restrict and cause this fault here.If this is or was already checked and found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Pete, the Saab designed engine has a fairly lengthy history of PCV updates. This particular car has the final updated/recommended system and updates.

Have you checked it for any blockages?