Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Steering wheel lock malfunction. What advice can you give

Customer Question

Steering wheel lock malfunction. What advice can you give me?
JA: How has the car been driving lately?
Customer: The day before it turned on without an issue with the warning on but when i replaced the tensioner, belt and alternator, it wouldn't turn on.. since
JA: What is the model/year of your Saab?
Customer: 04 9 3 linear
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes i am. I've tried the sitting in the car and hope to god it turns. Currently am going to disconnect the neg terminal for 15min
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I tried the fuses as well but thats it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Saab
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.
A "Tech 2" scanner with Saab software is needed to diagnose and repair this issue.

Use the Tech 2 scan tool to force key and turn to switch it on. Read the codes from the Tech 2, it will tell you what component is preventing the key from turning. It is a good idea to try another key, even without a proper scan tool. The key may be the issue.

Check fuse #1 for Ignition Switch Module and fuse #2 for the Steering Column Lock Module. Fuses are in the interior fuse panel.

If the CIM does not respond to the scan tool, try and unplug it and then reconnect. Recommend CIM if control unit starts communicating after hard reset from disconnect.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

If you don't have access to the scan tool the most you can do is check the fuses. It's very possible that one of them is just blown.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is OD2 a "tech 2" scanner?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

A Tech 2 is a type of ODBII scan tool. It is Saab and GM specific. They aren't terribly expensive, but not cheap either. Your best bet is to find a shop with one unless you want to invest about $1500.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will update you on saturday. Currently awaiting for my weekly check to take the car to a shop i checked early. They have a tech2 scanner for service.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

Ok. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
from what the shop is saying is that there are no codes, don't know why they were checking on that, ignition switch is fine. They suspect its my key. Possible? Should i advise them to force unlock it as you said with the scanner?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

I'm kind of surprised that they haven't tried that already. It's a very simple operation of the scanner. You go to the functional tests and tell the lock solenoid to disengage- if it does, then the key is the problem, it if doesn't then the solenoid is the problem. If the scan tool won't communicate with the column integration module then the column integration module is likely the problem.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll tell them now to do so.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

Sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i asked again if they have the scanner and apparently they have one like it but they don't have one. No use there. So I'm sending my car to a Saab dealership. Already spoken to the manager. Told him what info you provided me with and we'll go from there. I'll update at 1:30 am tomorrow morning.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Disclaimer:

Thank you for the opportunity. I love helping people fix their cars and saving them money. Please keep in mind that most problems will require some diagnosis to get them sorted out. I will be here to help until you are satisfied.

If you do not plan to rate my response please let me know as soon as possible. As an expert on Just Answer I only get paid for my service here based on positive ratings from you, the customer. If you do not plan to rate, and therefore compensate me for my time, I need to focus my efforts on customers who will.