sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Like many other late model SAAB owners I have a driver's

Customer Question

Like many other late model SAAB owners I have a driver's side door that no longer opens from the inside. My mechanic removed the inside door panel to see if it was either the cable or the handle itself that was broken. He reported back that it was neither, but instead it was a bracket attached to the door panel that had come loose. I'm not a mechanic, and I haven't actually seen what he's talking about, but he says the only remedy is to replace the entire door panel. With SAAB out of business, and a dwindling number of parts suppliers can you imagine what a task it will be to find another panel in the correct color? Any ideas how we can fix this instead of replacing the entire panel?
JA: What is the model/year of your Saab?
Customer: 2006 9.3 convertible
JA: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've put it in the hands of my mechanic who does all the other work on my car. This project is more than I would tackle because of the power windows, trunk latch etc.
JA: Have you tried silicone spray or WD-40?
Customer: No, I think that's the wrong tack. Something is broken, and apparently it's neither the cable or the inside handle itself. Rather than lubrication some method of reattaching the bracket to the door panel is what's needed. My first thought was some kind of super-adhesive like Gorilla Glue, but without actually seeing what's broken that's as far as I can get. Are you able to see one of these panels, or an image that would give a better understanding of what's wrong?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing else I can think of, unless he has some idea where to locate a replacement door panel if in fact that's the only remedy.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Saab
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the linkage is intact, there were no door or striker adjustment issues leading up to it not opening and nothing foreign was closed in the door then the issue is a failed latch. The latch will need to be replaced and is readily available.