Fix_It_Man, Other
Experience:  I am an ASE Master Certified technician and vehicle repair specialist with over 16 years of Saab experience.

I have a 2006 9-3 2.0T. my fuel gauge isnt working so i was

Customer Question

i have a 2006 9-3 2.0T. my fuel gauge isnt working so i was wondering if this is a common problem?
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: starts fine
JA: Are you fixing your 9-3 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no mechanic is. i havent tried anything
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats it
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Saab
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 15 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** of the time this is caused by an issue with the fuel level sensor. This is a common problem as there is usually carbon build up on the sensor itself. It can also be the gauge but that is not as common. I usually remove the fuel pump and test the level sensor before replacing the fuel pump assembly. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need anything further.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
How would you go about testing the fuel level sensor before replacing it?

The fuel pump unit will need to be removed from the vehicle and the sensor tested with an ohm meter. Does the fuel gauge move when the vehicle is turned off and back on or does it always stay in the same place?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
That's what I was thinking test continuity and see if I could get voltage to it. No it doesnt move the gauge stays on empty.

The gauge should move when the key is switched on and off. Do the other gauges move at all? Is this the only gauge with issues?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
All my other gauges work properly only the fuel gauge doesn't work

Thank you. Then the only way to narrow it down at this point is be either testing the sensor or by installing a scan tool and seeing if the computer is seeing a different reading than you gauge. If the computer shows no fuel then it is more than likely the sensor. if it is reading fuel then it is usually the gauge.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Computer reads 47 percent and now the message displayed says steering wheel malfunction contact saab dealer. What in the world is this?
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 14 days ago.

I would start by having the battery load tested and checking the connections at the battery. All of this can be caused by a low voltage problem. If the battery and connections are good then these may just be separate issues.