peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

Got message on dash indicator "steering lock malfunction

Customer Question

got message on dash indicator "steering lock malfunction make a safe stop....this was after I had an issue turning the ignition to start car....after I took key out and retried, car started but indicator message comes on while car is running. Also, I noticed that the dash indicators....fuel tank indicator, oil pressure, speedometer are not working but do come on again after I restart car. Is this safe to drive to my deal er about 12 miles away???
JA: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?
Customer: car is 13 years old....don't believe it has been replaced as I am second owner....have had check engine light come on for about 50-100 miles and it goes off again...
JA: What is the model of your '13 Saab?
Customer: 9-3
JA: Are you fixing your 9-3 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have repairs done by local mechanic or dealer.....as I am a 69 year old retired schoolteacher, I have no knowledge of mechanical workings....
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it.....thank you..
Category: Saab
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This sounds like a fault with the electronic ignition switch itself not releasing the steering lock the first time then it released and allowed starting but is causing this issue you see here now with the indicators as well as the gauges.When you cycle the key off and back on again this disengages the contacts in the ignition switch and then re engages them indicating to me from here this sounds like an internal fault with the ignition switch.The other issue I have seen is an internal electrical fault with the steering lock itself needing replaced.

I dont recommend driving it like this here as this can lead to eventual failure and can cause a no start or stall out with no start.If you can I would have it towed to be checked and repaired.The decision is up to you if you want to try and drive it this way to the shop to be checked and repaired but this would be a gamble meaning it may or may not make it this way.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete