Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Can't get my key to ,go to lock position, so I can get the

Customer Question

Can't get my key to ,go to lock position, so I can get the keys out
Category: Saab
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

HI,

Ok, there are 3 common causes - sticking ignition cylinder tumblers, shifter not fully in park, faulty key interlock.

First, make sure the shifter is in park by rocking the vehicle a few times by pushing on either the front or rear bumper, then try to turn the key

If no go, then use a hammer and GENTLY tap around the ignition cylinder as you turn the key - for sticking tumblers, this will work like a charm

If no go, then disconnect the negative cable from the battery for 10 minutes and then reconnect - this usually will reset the key interlock solenoid.

If still no go, then the interlock may have failed completely and the console and steering column disassemblied to inspect and test the complete interlock system and repair as needed

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services.Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.