cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  was a mechanic in the army for four years and have been working at a dealer ship the past five years
74954164

Need help replacing coolant bypass valve on 2008 Saab 9-5.

Customer Question

Category: Saab
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just need to know how to disconnect the cable connector above the CBV. It's different on the 08 than on the 05's. I've already done a compression test, verified the CBV is the source of the leak and have the replacement valve in hand.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 2 months ago.
  1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Loosen the expansion tank pressure cap.
  3. Raise the car and remove the lower front cover.
  4. Drain the coolant.
  5. Detach the coolant pipe from the turbocharger.
  6. Lower the car.
  7. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  8. For the turbocharger, remove or disconnect the following:
    NOTEKeep pipe seals and washers in a safe place.

Air hose between air collector casing and turbocharger intake pipe Tie securing main engine harnesses Tension from auxiliary drive belt tensioner Auxiliary drive belt from power steering pump and water pump pulleys Engine top cover Crankcase vent pipe from turbocharger inlet pipe and camshaft cover (bend aside)

Solenoid valve connector and hoses Engine lifting eye Bypass pipe with valve from turbocharger intake pipe Exhaust manifold heat shield Vent hose from T-connection Turbocharger intake pipe; plug openings in turbocharger
  9. Remove the power steering pump bolt on right side behind the belt pulley.
  10. Remove the upper power steering pump bolt.
  11. Lift up the pump and remove the lower bolt and 2 upper bolts on the bracket.
  12. Move the power steering pump and bracket aside and secure with a cable tie.
  13. Remove hose clips and detach hoses from water pump inlet.
  14. Detach the 2 longitudinal coolant pipes from cylinder block.
  15. Disconnect coolant pipes from water pump. Keep the O-rings and move pipes aside.
  16. Loosen water pump slightly.
  17. Detach the coolant pipe from the water pump. Retain the seals.
  18. Remove the 3 water pump bolts.
  19. Carefully wiggle the water pump away from its mounting and connecting piece in cylinder block.
  20. Remove the connecting piece from the cylinder block.

To install:

1. Clean the sealing surfaces and use a new gasket.
  2. Install or connect the following:

Connecting piece to cylinder block Coat seals with sealant Gleitmo 805 30-06 442. Water pump loosely to mounting Coolant pipe between water pump and turbocharger with new washers and seals Coolant pipe to water pump to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm) 2 longitudinal pipes to water pump with new O-rings coated with non-acidic Vaseline 3 water pump bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm) 2 longitudinal pipes to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm) Power steering pump and bracket, tightening bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm) Hoses and clips on water pump inlet Turbocharger inlet pipe, but do not tighten (coat O-ring with non-acidic Vaseline) Engine lifting eye Solenoid valve and hoses Turbocharger intake pipe V-clamp Vent hose to T-connection Exhaust manifold heat shield Bypass pipe and valve, with new O-ring, to turbocharger inlet pipe Solenoid valve connector Crankcase ventilation pipe to turbocharger inlet pipe, with new copper seals, to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm) Crankcase vent pipe to camshaft cover clip Throttle body cover Coolant line to turbocharger to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm) from under the car Auxiliary drive belt in all pulleys Release tension from drive belt tensioner Main wiring harness secured with cable ties Air hose between air collector casing and turbocharger inlet pipe
  3. Refill the cooling system.
  4. Bleed the cooling system as follows:
    1. Ensure A/C is off.
    2. Fill system to MAX level. Fit pressure cap.
    3. Start engine and warm to normal operating temperature, varying engine speeds until cooling fan starts.
    4. Switch off engine and top coolant up to MAX, if necessary.
  5. Check for any leaks.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This reply is no help at all. I am not replacing the water pump. I am replacing the coolant bypass valve which is used on Saab 9-5's with the Automatic Climate Control. All I need to know is how to disconnect the cable connectors shown in the photo attached with my question.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please do not reply with another cut and paste from the service manual. If you are not aware of how to disconnect this cabling, please just send my question back into the pool for another expert who may have first hand experience with these connectors. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've figured this out already and will share with you the answer so you can perhaps help someone else in the future. In order to disconnect the harness, you need to insert a small flat screwdriver into the space in front of the red cap and push up gently to release the clip. Once it starts to move upwards, pull it fully up by hand and the harness connections will come free.