Just bought an '06 9-3 (4 cyl), and am trying to get the box

Customer Question

just bought an '06 9-3 (4 cyl), and am trying to get the box out or open that conceals the fuel filter (next to the gas tank). I removed the philips screw that holds the box to the white plastic mount piece, but it wouldn't lower out of there, and I can't see how it opens, if there's a lid to it. what's the trick?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Saab
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** US spec saab 93's in 2006, do not have an external fuel filter, it is integrated into the fuel pump and is not serviced seperately, where did you get the fuel filter?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ha! Ordered through the local LordCo, which it listed as an external filter. Usually those guys are on it, but I'll be taking that back for a refund.
I see an "aero filter" under the hood. Would that be something that may give the same symptoms as a clogged fuel filter? The car runs fine, has 160,000 km on it, just sounds like it's starving for fuel at an idle, only now and again.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 month ago.

alot of the parts houses will seel a filter for the euro spec 93's. which do have an external fuel filter, we see this alot, but you dont have one on yours, if the symtom come sand goes, its not going to be a filter problem, how often dos it happen?

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 month ago.

Are you still here?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My wife just bought the car recently, and told me it idled rough. I haven't spent much time in it. Yesterday I took it for a drive around town, listened for it on several occasions, hearing nothing out of the ordinary. Thought she was full of it... til I got back home, and had parked it. A few mins later, I needed to move it (was still warm), and it sputtered quite noticeably at an idle. So, in my experience, 10% of the time it's idling it acts up
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 month ago.

this could be caused by a few different things, have yu had the codes pulled from the computer and seen if there are any missfire codes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. Haven't taken it in. Thought that I'd start with the filter, but I guess this is not a basic model of a car.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you recommend the local (quite good) shop I normally use, or are these diagnostics SAAB specific?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 month ago.

Any good independant shop can do this, they will have an OBDII scanner, which will work fine for this, look for any missfire codes, they will be specific to the cylinder that is missing,Tim

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks a lot Tim. Very helpful
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh hey, there's one other thing...
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 month ago.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The auto door locks are an issue. Seems very common. I also read a lot of feeds that people replace the wrong components when trying to resolve. The fob unlocks all doors except the drivers door, and won't lock anything. The auto lock button intermittently unlocks, but won't lock any of the doors. What are your thoughts on that?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 month ago.

usually this is caused by a bad drivers door control module, and can effect all the doors, but the scanner should be able to red the body codes as well, and the obdII scanner can also be used to control the locks, which would eleminate a bad actuator and such,Tim

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks so much, Tim. cheers
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 month ago.

Anytime my friend, please dont forget to rate me, so I cn get credit for helping,Thanks,Tim

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 month ago.

Is there a reason you wont rate me???

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 month ago.

ok, I guess you were just looking for a free answer, good luck in the future,Tim