Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles

Motor vibrates, puts out smoke, smells of fuel when

Customer Question

motor vibrates, puts out white smoke, smells of fuel when starting. then its gone, and the car is fine, for several days.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: fuel use is fine., starts normal
JA: What is the model/year of your Saab?
Customer: 93 2006 convertible 2.0
JA: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i'm fixing it myself, the aid of mechanic
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Saab
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
during this problem, I drove the car 110 miles, and it was fine. several days later it started all over again. the problem has been going on foe 2 months
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think of these things as I sit here. no lose of oil, or water,
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

1-you could have a problem with the valve stem seals in the head assembly leaking oil and spark plugs,when the y heat up they swell up and close the gap no more oil dripping and will not emit any smoke for a while ?

have you pulled the spark plugs and inspect them for oil on the tips of the plug ?

please let me know

Thank You
Chad Farhat

what is the mileage on it ?

any check engine light on ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
plugs have been replaced, old ones sow no sign of oil.

Can you get some fuel trim readings , long term & short term fuel trims at idle ?

also Fuel system status is running closed loop or open loop ?

oxygen sensor reading at idle ?

if you go to tail pipe , have it running when it smokes , get your hand open palm close to tail pipe and leave it there for few secs , do you smell gas or you see small dots of oil specs on your palm of your hand ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The last two items items you mention I will not be able to do them until next week. Also too check exhaust until it smokes again. Talk to you soon.

hey larry

ok sounds good

just reply back here when ready & we can continue.

A 5 Star Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm checking on two items. Run car until fuel light cums on, then full it up an add dry gas. The car may have bad gas. Fuel filter, will be changed, if this doesn't then the two ideas you told me be done. Thankyou will let you know. Larry

I wonderd what happened to you :)

Sounds great let me know

Please don't forget to rate me before you exit since that is how we get compensated :)

Thank You

Chad Farhat