peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

I have a 2002 saab 9-3 se, car won't start and fuse 26 keeps

Customer Question

I have a 2002 saab 9-3 se, car won't start and fuse 26 keeps blowing. Fuse box say it is for engine control module.
Changed DI Cassette and spark plug, CPS and new battery.
Engine turns over but would not start. Ordering another DI Cassette just in case that one is faulty.
Stumped. Help, thanks.
Category: Saab
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.I apologize for any delay.

Have you checked for any loose,damaged or corroded battery cables or cable connections at or leading from the battery to where they run and connect to at all?

How often does this fuse blow out?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Symptoms started when car runs for a while but once turned off can't start back until couple of hours later.1. So changed DI Cassette (Ignition Coil assembly) and spark plug.(Runs for a couple of days, then engine just shuts off during a drive on the road. Can't start back even letting it sit for a while. When attempt to start, clicks but engine doesn't seem to turn over or start. Just clicks2. Changed Crank Position Senor (CPS), changed new battery. Now engine turns, but doesn't start still.Then I checked the fuse box for obvious blown fuses and noticed fuse 26 blown (30A) and switched with a new one and try to start the car and checked the fuse 26 (30A) blown once again.

Can you tell me which fuse panel this fuse is located in?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hey thanks for responding.It's located on the left of the driver's side. Having access when you open the driver side door.

Was the trionic control module replaced (the engine computer)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No not yet, ECM has not been replaced yet.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am looking for that as an option but just in case if I get it and hope it doesn't short the ecm out somehow. I am getting another DI Cassette to see if it's a faulty or incompatible DI Cassette for the Saab 9-3 Se. I purchased it online.

O.k.,this fuse feeds the Trionic control module.If there is any issues with the wiring from the fuse to the module with a short to ground this will cause the fuse to short out but if this is checked and all found to be o.k. and the DI does not correct this issue then I suspect that the Trionic control module is shorted internally needing replaced.I have seen this short out before in the past and cause the issues here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Whats the best or proper way to diagnose where if there is a short between the ecm? etc

The best way I have found unfortunately since this short can be anywhere is to follow the wire from the fuse to the control unit itself inspecting the wire along the way.This can be time consuming but is the best way to locate the source of the short.If no short is found then the control module needs replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete