Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles

I own a 2008 V6 93 Aero and when I turn on the ignition, to

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: I own a 2008 V6 93 Aero and when I turn on the ignition, to start the car. An error message appears steering wheel lock malfunction. I once changed the ignition and put a new one that costs around R22000 and it's doing the same. I got 2 new keys and I'm not willing to pay another R22000. I'm now stressed if it's the fuse or CIM removal. I cannot diagnose cause they said the car doesn't switch on. The cause was the low battery and I also repaired the alternator. Put in a new battery and the car won't start.
JA: How old is the battery? And have you tested it with a voltmeter?
Customer: I'll try a new battery and they had charged the battery
JA: Are you fixing your 9-3 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm stuck and maybe I'll try a diagnosis
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm thinking of trying to remove the CIM, as per the Youtube videos
Category: Saab
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

A quality scanner can unlock the ignition. I doubt the keys are the fault. Do not remove the CIM until you can unlock the ignition and properly diagnose.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not a technician and do not own any equipment, I'm the car owner. I've took the car to the panel beater for spraying and asked them if they can assist. I'll advise them to unlock the ignition and maybe it will start.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll give you full feedback on Monday
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

This is not a body shop type of repair. I suggest a SAAB specialist or a shop familiar with them

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

Unlocking the ignition will likely not make it start. It will give you access to properly diagnose

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I have not heard from you in a few days. Do you still need assistance? I also noticed you havent left a rating. I have assisted in good faith and am only compensated when you leave a positive rating. Please let me know if there is anything else you need to leave a positive rating. Conversations can always continue after a rating is received.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi, my car is still stuck and have taken it to the Saab specialist for a check-up and a diagnosis. They couldn't unlock the ignition and that's why I decided to take it to a specialist. I haven't heard any feedback from them.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 month ago.

I have never had any problems unlocking the ignition with a Tech2 scanner. Ask your specialist if they are using a tech2. Hard to believe a saab specialist is having problems with this.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
The problem was the CIM and after replacing the CIM the car was able to start when you turn on the key.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 19 days ago.

I hope everything has gone satisfactorily. Please don't forget to leave a rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received. I have assisted in good faith and am only compensated for my time when you leave a positive rating. That is 3 stars or more. If there is any reason you cannot leave a positive rating let me know before leaving a rating. Let us know if you need help in the future.