peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.

My 2001 saab shifs fine in all forward gear but but no

Customer Question

my 2001 saab shifs fine in all forward gear but but no reverse
Category: Saab
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is or has the check engine light come on with this fault here at all?

Have you had the fault codes checked at all to see what codes are set with this issue here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
changed trans mission fluid still cant get reverse
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when i put the car in neutral i cant push it back it seems to be lock some where
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 month ago.

O.k.,this usually points to an internal mechanical fault with a clutch or band that may not be releasing in the transmission.Unfortunately this doesnt sound like a solenoid or valve body fault here.Make sure that the shifter cable is o.k. and that you are actually seeing it shift into reverse and neutral.If this is o.k. unfortunately the transmission usually has to be removed for inspection which involves having it taken apart to pinpoint the cause in it.This is best done by a transmission repair facility that has experience in this model here as well as the correct tools.Usually all bands and clutches are released in neutral and something internally is not releasing/operating properly to allow neutral and reverse operation.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete