Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech

My daughter has a 2002 Saab 9-3 with ignition switch in

Customer Question

My daughter has a 2002 Saab 9-3 with ignition switch in center floor console and automatic transmission. She bought this car with only 1 key last year. A few months ago, she had difficulty turning her key in the ignition. I used a havy does of silicone spray, and that seemed to solve the problem, although the key would only only turn smoothly when inserted in 1 orientation. A couple days ago, she removed the key and the radio would not go off. She tried to reinsert the key, but now it will not turn. Apparently the key was removed before the lock cylinder was fully in the "lock'" position, and now it will not move. Q1: is there a way for us to fix the current problem so she can use her car? Q2: I see on ebay a used TWICE unit along with ignition lock cylinder and 2 keys. Is this something that would solve her problem, and get her a second working key? Or would buying this used TWICE unit require dealer reprogramming? We don't have any saab dealers around here (Rochester,MN) so what kind of repair facility is equipped to handle a Saab specialty problem issue like this? Q3: How can she get a second functional key made and what would be the cost? Thanks for the help.
Category: Saab
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. Replacing the TWICE unit will likely solve the problem your having but it will require programming. You may want to check with your local GM dealer as there are some of them that may be able to do this programming for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, soyou were able to confirm that if I purchase the used lock cylinder, 2 keys, and TWICE unit, it will need to be reprogrammed to the car (as i suspected, but wasn't sure). But short of doing that, is there are way to remove and dis-assemble the existing lock cylinder to see if it can be made to work again with her one existing key? Although she needs the car, I hate to spend $200 for the used hardware and another $200-500(???) for TWICE reprogramming, as that probably adds up to more than 1/2 the value of the car. So we still need an answer of why the ignition lock malfunctioned (allowing her to withdraw key while ignition was not fully in "lock" position), and if the lock can be removed and serviced at home to be restored to a working condition. With no Saab dealers around, and no local mechanics knowledgeable about this type of Saab quirk, i don't know of any local service shop that can help us.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Im not sure the old unit can be repaired but that would be something for a lock smith to look at. Im not sure what caused the old lock to fail beside just wear.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for your attempt at answering the questions, but I really hope that there are some Saab experts that can guide me through the process (with details) of removing and restoring the ignition lock cylinder. Or tell me if i can at least remove the lock cylinder and replace with another one using same key or getting a different set of keys, without having to go through expense of changing TWICE unit and reprogramming. The local locksmiths that I have contacted are not familiar with cutting new keys for my Saab, or providing new lock mechanisms.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

I will open the post back up for you and perhaps another will have what you need.