Mark N
Mark N, Saab Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience on all models of Saabs!
22700663

I have a 1994 9000 aero with an ebrake that doesn't workMy

Customer Question

I have a 1994 9000 aero with an ebrake that doesn't workMy ebrake doesn't work. It grabs but the car rolls. When I went under car and stared at the lines and such the only thing that seemed to move (only on drivers side) was this little rubber then that would pull away from brake when down and go toward a when up or vice versa. Only on one side tho. How can I diagnose what needs replacing?
Category: Saab
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be be posting a replay ASAP

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok

Have done the adjustment as described below ?

are the pads old or new , is the rear caliper actually moving in the rear when Ebrake us applied

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

1994 Saab 9000 Sedan L4-2290cc 2.3L DOHC Turbo EFI

1. Remove the brush seal from the handbrake lever console. 2. Remove the locking plate from the adjusting nuts. 3. Remove the threaded plug from the adjusting screw. - Tighten the adjusting screw all the way in and then back it off a 1/4-1/2 turn. - Check that the brake disc can rotate freely. - Screw the threaded plug back in place. 4. Adjust the cable as follows: a) Insert a 1.0 mm feeler gauge between the lever and stop. b) Screw the adjusting nut (under the handbrake lever) until the feeler gauge slips out. Correct clearance: 1.0 ± 0.5 mm (0.04 ± 0.02 inch). 5. Install the locking plate over the adjusting nuts. 6. Slide the brush seal over the handbrake lever and into place on the handbrake console.

DESCRIPTION OF OPERATION

When the handbrake is applied, the effort required is transferred via cables to the lever of each brake unit (caliper) on the rear wheels. This lever is fixed to an eccentric shaft that presses on a stud when it is rotated. Via the adjusting mechanism, the stud presses on the brake piston and the inboard brake pad. Simultaneously, the entire hydraulic body slides sideways and also presses the outboard brake pad against the brake disc. When the handbrake is released, the lever on the brake unit (caliper) is returned by the spring and the piston sealing ring in the brake cylinder retracts the brake pads to the rest (brake off) position. The handbrake system is self-adjusting. As the brake pads wear, the clearance between pads and brake disc is adjusted automatically so that it is kept constant at all times. The adjusting mechanism consists of an adjusting screw and a threaded sleeve. When the clearance reaches a certain limit, the adjusting screw backs off slightly. Self-adjustment 'is therefore carried out in small steps. When working on the brake system, adjustment should be carried out manually as described in "Adjustment".

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I gotta check tomorrow morning
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Didn't look like caliper was moving btw. Also pads are old

ok sounds good let me know and we can continue tomorrow

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do I get my money back? I'm a broke 19 year old and I'm just gonna have a mechanic do it :(

sorry , i dont handle that , call customer service,

good luck, i need to attend to other customers that need my help and appreciate my time .

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok one sec