Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

97 saab 2.5 V6 - overcharging and cooking the battery in 75

Customer Question

Hi Pearl -
JA: What is the model/year of your Saab?
Customer: 97 saab 2.5 V6 - overcharging and cooking the battery in 75 miles
JA: Have you tested the battery? Is the battery fluid low?
Customer: new battery after it fried. new battery fried after 75 miles.
JA: What year is your Saab?
Customer: 97
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes fix myself - looking at trying to replace the regulator on the alr
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Alt
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saab Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Saab
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
okay - processed the pmt
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Sounds like you need to replace the alternator. Your voltage regulator on the alternator sounds defective. You could check charging voltage with a meter while the engine is at idle. Replace the battery at the time of alternator replacement as well.

If you need more help, we can continue this conversation. If not, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, I will try to give you the best answer I can. Remember, I do not get compensated for my time helping you unless you rate. If you feel the need to rate less than 3 stars. Please let me know why and how I can help you more. Thanks Dan

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

Posts close in 7 days. That means you will not be able to contact me on this question.

You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Please use the 5 star rating system at the top of the screen, it would be appreciated.

If you feel the need to rate less than 3 stars, please let me know why and how I can help you more.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.

Thanks Dan