Mark N
Mark N, Saab Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience on all models of Saabs!
22700663

Having dead battery problem, Just replaced the battery and

Customer Question

Having dead battery problem
JA: How old is the battery? Have you checked the battery gauge on the dash?
Customer: Just replaced the battery and two days later it's dead. This started last week with dead car. Had Firestone check out charging system and it passed. I think something is draining the battery.
JA: What is the model/year of your Saab?
Customer: 2001 9-3, 2.0 ltr turbo charged
JA: What year is your Saab?
Customer: 2001
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Replaced the battery and had charging system check out by Firestone.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saab Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Saab
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

There isn't really anything on this car that commonly causes a battery draw, so as far as making a suggestion on where to look I don't have much.

If you have a multi-meter I can walk you through testing for an amperage draw so you can pinpoint what is killing the battery.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm questioning this service. You charged me $31 dollars to tell me you don't have an answer. I didn't like the sneaky way you obtained my card info and then let me know there will be an additional $25 dollar charge.If you want my business in the future and my positive publicity regarding your service, then refund my money........or provide a substantial solution! I've been to many auto sites and their forums regarding my problem and received better information for free.It's your call. Want me or not!!
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

I would love to help you find the source of the draw, but if you aren't either equipped with the proper tools (a basic multi-meter) or willing to make the effort to respond then we are at an impasse. I can't just tell you where the draw is based on the simple fact that your battery died- I need your help in order to help you.

I'll notify customer service that it appears this service is not going to work for you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have used a multi meter to get readings and also charged the battery. Saab forums all point to the ignition switch contact points failing. I've ordered the part and disassembled the console to get the old one out.Last Friday traveling home from work, I have to jump the car to start it and all the way home the dash indicator lights would come on like when you start the car. I wiggled the ignition key and it would go away. I think I'm on the right path. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Expert:  Technicaldan replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I hope you are well.

My name is ***** ***** I will see if I am able to assist you.

I note that the previous expert has advised correctly that you will need to use a multimeter to conduct some testing to narrow down the potential list of current drain, as he or she does not know of any common cause for current draw.

I agree with their advice although I note they have opted out, therefore should you wish, I will guide you through the process of narrowing down the drain in the same manner that they would likely of done so.

In relation to the ignition switch, this is a common issue in relation to the dashboard resetting, not cranking, cutting out, etc, but I've not heard of it being a drain as usually it's 'off' when parked.