Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Auto Service Technician
Experience:  12 years Line Mechanic, Electronics, etc

How do I remove a broken shift knob from saab automatic 2005

Customer Question

how do I remove a broken shift knob from saab automatic 2005 so i can put on a replacement knob/assembly that I bought. the release button isn't on the old one anymore.
Category: Saab
Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

Is this a 9-2, 9-3, 9-5 or 9-7?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I know you turn the sleeve under the knob clockwise and push down - this reveals something just under the knob you turn and pull the knob off. My issue is, some say I have to put the car in Drive (turned off to accessory I guess) and some say I have to push the release button on the knob (which isn't there anymore) some say you have to take the knob apart to put it on. I just don't want to jam anything up.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

Put it in drive, then you will remove the top part to expose the inside of the shifter knob. Remove the metal piece, then the piece below it. Then turn the sleeve clockwise and push down on it. Then lift up to remove the knob

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the knob is already open - the metal piece is already out. I don't know what you mean by "piece below it." But then when I put the new one on do I have to take it apart first then put it on and then put it back together? What is the point of taking the knob apart?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK. So I asked another question above. Do I have to take the new knob apart before putting it on? What is the purpose of taking the knob apart? What happens of I don't do that? When you say put the car in "drive" is it turned to "on"?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is BS. A waste of money. I might as well have thown the money in the garbage.
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 3 months ago.

did you still need help on this?