sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

We have a 2005 Saab 9-5. The ESP warning light often comes

Customer Question

We have a 2005 Saab 9-5. The ESP warning light often comes on, but not always. The trouble code is C0198 - Yaw Rate Circuit Low. What does that mean?
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 90,000
JA: What is the model of your '05 Saab?
Customer: It's a Saab 9-5 Turbo.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We haven't done anything. Our Saab repairman told me over the phone that the sensor almost never needs to be replaced in 9-5s. What else could cause the problem? Is it safe to drive? Also, we are having the sway bars replaced as the linkages are broken.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Don't know if this is part of the problem, but we also get "Rear Light Failure" warnings but it looks like all of the lights are working.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saab Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Saab
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Possible causes for this code are the yaw sensor, the ABS module, or a short to ground in the wring between the two. Wiring problems are possible but not that likely unless the problem started after work was done, an internal failure in the ABS module in this way would be pretty unheard of. Yaw sensors don't often fail but it's the most likely cause for this code. The wiring will need to be tested and the sensor replace if ok.

It's safe to drive in the mean time but you won't have stability control functions while the warning light is on.