My saab 9-3 convertible 2007 central locking fob will not

Customer Question

my saab 9-3 convertible 2007 central locking fob will not operate and must use key to gain entry when fob is in ignition screen displays steering lock malfunction car starts and drives but will not lock with fob is it dangerous to drive
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: the battery is the original 2007 the car has only 35000 miles on the clock the engine starts but 1`m worried that the steering lock might engage wlhile driving
JA: What is the model of your '07 Saab?
Customer: 9-3 linear convertible 2-0 ltr petrol manual
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no but I had a mech do a diagnostic check and he said the repair bill will be in excess of £1800
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no car seems to drive well just the doors don't open and close and the radio doesn't turn off when you take out the fob
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saab Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Saab
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** it starts and runs fine, but the fob does not unlock the doors, correct?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
but the screen displays message steering lock malfunction contact dealer
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 months ago.

ok, this is usually caused by a bad fob, what did they want to replace for 1800?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the steering lock assembly and some sort of programmable unit and he said the dash board would have to be removed to do the job
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 months ago.

I dont see how it could be all of that, I believe they are just replacing all the parts and hoping it will fix it, have you had the fob checked to see if its sending a signal?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no but the fobs were replaced about three years ago by the main dealer
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 months ago.

they still could be bad, have you tried both fobs?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
they both start the car but will not open it and when the fob is removed the radio still plays
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 months ago.

ok, then you most likely have a bad reciever, I dont believe the lock mechanism is the problem, if the car starts and runs,Tim

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 months ago.

Please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping, you can always come back to this question after rating, and ask follow ups questions at no charge, thanks,Tim